Texas Hunting Forum

Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express

Posted By: ndhunter

Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express - 02/01/16 05:11 AM

I'm thinking about drilling and tapping a Picatinny rail on to my old 1987 870 express 12 gauge so I can mount a red dot or turkey scope

It is not an expensive gun, about the first year Remington made the express but it was the first shotgun that was mine and didn't have to share with my brothers.

Seems pretty simple from the youtube videos

I will buy another shotgun if this is a risky proposition, it's worth more as an heirloom than anything else

Anyone else do this?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express - 02/01/16 11:48 AM

As another option, they do make a mount that slips over your receiver and is secured by bolts that replace your trigger assembly KD pins. Very easy to install. Secure, and no drilling and tapping necessary.

Gman
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express - 02/01/16 02:11 PM

I've never done it myself, but I've had a gunsmith do several 20 gauges for me. I forget which Weaver rail I used, but it was $7 or $8 and the gunsmith charged around $40 I think.

I had a buddy try a B-square like gamblinman is talking about. He said it moved and wouldn't hold a consistent zero. He sent it back and went to the permanent mount.

Here is one of mine on the 20 gauge.

Re: Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express - 02/01/16 02:22 PM

BarneyWho, that is s slick 20 gauge. Do you happen to have a pic of the whole gun? I take it that is a Knoxx stock? I have a couple of the Max Gobblers that Remington made a few years ago.

Thanks, and my apologies to the OP for changing the subject matter.

Gman
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express - 02/01/16 03:00 PM

Thanks. Correct on the Knoxx Stock.

I don't have one of the complete gun, but here is what I do have.

Gun started life as a Youth model with wood stocks. I took the stocks off and added the Knoxx Stock and a synthetic forearm from Remington. Polished the barrel and had the receiver drilled and tapped for the Weaver rail. Hand painted her and run TSS thru a Remington Super Full choke. It's a killing machine. I like a Merriam having my slam with this gun.

Re: Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express - 02/02/16 01:24 AM

Very nice.. Nice job on all the work..take a bow.

Thank you

Gman

Re: Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express - 02/02/16 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
BarneyWho, that is s slick 20 gauge. Do you happen to have a pic of the whole gun? I take it that is a Knoxx stock? I have a couple of the Max Gobblers that Remington made a few years ago.

Thanks, and my apologies to the OP for changing the subject matter.

Gman

No problem, on my work pc and can't see the pics. Will check them out later.
Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express - 02/05/16 11:08 PM

BWho really does put an extremely pretty turkey thumper together. But what you really should see are the 3 Inch 2 pound Promethium/Radon blend #8 he re-loads. Man those things are hot…literally…as in radioactive. BWho is the only person I know that can jelly head a Kansas Gobbler at 85 yards with a 20 Gauge 870. grin

Re: Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express - 02/07/16 04:06 PM

Well now that I look at the pics, that it is little bit more than a upgrade to add a site/scope

Any opinions regarding scope versus red dot sight?

Re: Picatinny rail Upgrade to Old 870 Express - 02/07/16 09:21 PM

red dot all the way on a turkey gun.

Gman
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum