Texas Hunting Forum

Here Today Gone Tomorrow

Posted By: ndhunter

Here Today Gone Tomorrow - 11/07/15 05:24 AM

Turkey always disappear about two weeks before fall opener where I hunt in Haskell Co

Is that typical for others out in that area?

Spring is not so bad though
Posted By: GLC

Re: Here Today Gone Tomorrow - 11/08/15 12:26 AM

Had turkeys on my cameras until bow season and then nothing.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Here Today Gone Tomorrow - 11/14/15 01:53 PM

I have seen the same thing in Stephens, Jack, Callahan and Eastland Counties. Can't figure out where they go!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Here Today Gone Tomorrow - 11/16/15 01:35 AM

A few hours south of you, near Brady, we had about 100 turkeys on a 300 acre place we hunt. We would have 30 turkeys at each blind at the same time. We have only seen them while driving around the last three weeks.
Same thing happens with the quail.
Posted By: diablodog

Re: Here Today Gone Tomorrow - 11/16/15 06:15 PM

I am not a turkey expert , so I have the same question , where do they go ? Same at my place , turkeys everywhere , then none to be seen right be fore the season . Where are they going , why ? The only thing that I have seen is that they seem to like mild weather .
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Here Today Gone Tomorrow - 11/16/15 08:42 PM

Rio Grande turkeys tend to have a "spring/summer" range and a "fall/winter" range. I have seen this also in Merriam's, although not to the extent of the Rio Grande subspecies. These separate ranges may be several miles apart, depending on cover, roost, and food.
Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Here Today Gone Tomorrow - 11/17/15 04:49 AM

Yes very common. They get bunched up in winter flocks and move a certain pattern. Then when they start splitting up in spring the fights push birds to other regions.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum