Texas Hunting Forum

New to Turkey hunting

Posted By: bigjoe8565

New to Turkey hunting - 09/18/15 05:05 AM

I've never hunted Turkey before, but I have 20-30 hitting my feeder regularly. Should I try an ambush hunt or put out decoys and try calling?
Posted By: rarjar

Re: New to Turkey hunting - 09/18/15 11:36 AM

It is more difficult to call turkey in during the Fall hunt, although not impossible, and decoys do seem to help a little. That said, I have accidently walked up on them in the Fall, had them scatter, then used a kee-kee call to get them back in to me. Personally, for highest probability of success, I would suggest the ambush approach in the Fall and calling in the Spring hunt. My 2 cents!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: New to Turkey hunting - 09/18/15 12:49 PM

Ambush in the fall.

Gman
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: New to Turkey hunting - 10/14/15 01:57 PM

What is "ambush"

I have called them and rifle shot them but new to the fine art of turkey hunting

See a bunch of them on my lease in the fall but they disappear about a week before gun season

Spring is pretty dependable
Posted By: Booner1

Re: New to Turkey hunting - 10/14/15 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter
What is "ambush"

I have called them and rifle shot them but new to the fine art of turkey hunting

See a bunch of them on my lease in the fall but they disappear about a week before gun season

Spring is pretty dependable

Find a spot on your lease where you know that the turkey travel towards food or water and sit and wait for them and then "Ambush" them when they pass by.
Posted By: Chuck Cox

Re: New to Turkey hunting - 10/25/15 01:29 AM

Got one with my crossbow. I knew where they where roosted and I knew which way they would fly down. Pretty easy after that.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: New to Turkey hunting - 10/25/15 03:38 AM

Agree, ambush in the fall, call in the spring. Take time to find the roost, if you don't disturb it they will not move usually.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum