Texas Hunting Forum

A Hen with a Beard???

Posted By: gaharris

A Hen with a Beard??? - 05/07/15 02:23 PM

Looking for another opinion, I have seen this bird several times on my ranch and at first I thought it was a jake but it's beard is about 6-7" long and that is pretty big for a young immature tom and it has no spurs.
Then, after seeing it several more times thru my spotting scope I decided it had to be a hen with a beard.
I have seen hen's with beards before but never one with a fairly long beard, most of the time if they have one it's short or just a few strands.
Looking for your thouhgts.
Here are three photos in succession I took of it walking by the feeder last night. Please tell me what you think. I have a lot of big toms and quite a few jakes running around and they all look like tom's but this bird does not look like a tom to me.

Posted By: GunsUpHunter

Re: A Hen with a Beard??? - 05/07/15 02:38 PM

Looks like a jake.... or a hen. smile I can't tell much through the pictures. I don't see a beard, but I take your word it's there.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: A Hen with a Beard??? - 05/07/15 04:15 PM

I don't know about turkeys, but does when they grow antlers they are almost always pretty small, but there are exceptions. That very well could be an exceptional hen.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: A Hen with a Beard??? - 05/07/15 07:22 PM

bearded hen. Let her walk...she'll produce more gobblers in her lifetime. Areas that have bearded hens typically have more multi bearded gobblers, and vice-versa.

Gman
Posted By: OffCoor1

Re: A Hen with a Beard??? - 05/07/15 07:31 PM

Very interesting, Gman. I've never heard that before....makes sense, though.
Posted By: BandOfBrotherOTX

Re: A Hen with a Beard??? - 05/07/15 10:09 PM

Bearded hen, we saw one last Sunday. I agree with Gman, better to let hens live...
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: A Hen with a Beard??? - 05/08/15 05:29 AM

Why is it not a jake? Head looks like a jake possibly. Maybe a weird hatch but doesn't look like a hen to me.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: A Hen with a Beard??? - 05/08/15 08:12 AM

Too much grey in the head and the body to be a jake. A jakes head would have more red and body would have more of a black hue to it.

Gman
Posted By: kmon11

Re: A Hen with a Beard??? - 05/08/15 09:29 AM

Bearded hen. Over the years I have killed one and let several others walk one of which had 3 small beards and another that had what looked like at least an 8 inch beard but it was about as thick as a pencil.
Posted By: gaharris

Re: A Hen with a Beard??? - 05/08/15 02:55 PM

Pictures thru a spotting scope are always iffy, and the quality gets even worse using a cell phone.
The beard does not show up nearly as good in the photos as in real time. The beard is about 6-7" long and reasonably heavy compared to many of extra or multiple type beards you often find on birds.
I am pretty sure it is a hen as its head is so grey and the body looks just like all the other hens she is running with.
The toms are so much darker and almost shine or glisten in the sunshine.
I have no intentions of shooting her, is really cool to just to see and watch her and I have no idea if she will throw any multi beard offspring but can only hope.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum