Texas Hunting Forum

Decoy Strategies for next weekend

Posted By: Wretched One

Decoy Strategies for next weekend - 05/01/15 01:26 PM

My son and I are going our second annual turkey hunt and I was just curious as to what decoy setups you would recommend this late in the season. I have a jake and two hen decoys and was contemplating getting a strutter decoy for our hunt next weekend. My scout tells me there is a huge tom strutting in the pasture just south of the barn so I am seeking advice on how to set up our decoys to help bring him in. Thanks for any and all help.
Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: Decoy Strategies for next weekend - 05/01/15 01:53 PM

I used the same decoys last weekend with great success. I put one of the hens in the submissive position (head down and tail up) then the other hen i had about 5 feet away in a lookout position. I set the Jake up about 10-15 feet behind them just watching them. It brought a tom in full strut straight to the Jake decoy.
Posted By: SpawnofChesty

Re: Decoy Strategies for next weekend - 05/01/15 05:18 PM

I would use the jake unless jakes are running in large numbers on your property. If they are I would use just the hens. I don't think gobblers would prefer to fight this late in the season so scratch the gobbler.
Posted By: SpawnofChesty

Re: Decoy Strategies for next weekend - 05/01/15 05:20 PM

If there are a large number of jakes the gobbler may hang back not trying to get ganged up on.
Posted By: Wretched One

Re: Decoy Strategies for next weekend - 05/01/15 07:41 PM

Thank you for the responses. I think I will go without the jake first and if we can't soft talk him in, we will put the jake back into the threesome. Hope to have a story and some picks for you guys next week. Thanks again.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Decoy Strategies for next weekend - 05/01/15 07:48 PM

If the setup is to where I can, I like to have the decoys about 20 yards behind and to the left of me, that way if a gobbler hangs up at 70 yards from the deeks he is in the killzone.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Decoy Strategies for next weekend - 05/02/15 12:59 AM

Hens, no jake. Face them towards you.

Gman
Posted By: OffCoor1

Re: Decoy Strategies for next weekend - 05/07/15 07:35 PM

^^^^^^ this. Time to make love, not war !! Good Luck and Good Huntin'
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum