Texas Hunting Forum

Good father son hunt today (almost great)

Posted By: BandOfBrotherOTX

Good father son hunt today (almost great) - 04/18/15 10:28 PM

Had some really nice customers today who were looking to kill the son's first turkey and get another one for Dad. The day started off slow, the turkey were quiet off the roost and did not appear in one of the usual funnel spots we hunt.

We shifted gears and moved to the hilltops calling into the valleys. I was able to get one gobbler to respond to a hen call so we set up. He was about 100 yards off to our left. A little while later, a second gobbler responded from about 300 yards off to the left and finally a third gobbler chimed in from 300 yards to the right of us.

Somehow they decided to meet about 100 yards in front of us and worked their way across the field. Since we were running and gunning, I did not have decoys, but was able to get them to about 15 yards. They walked past the father on the left towards the son on the right. They moved to about 20 yards from the son, then started to turn away. I asked them to shoot and they both shot and ended up getting one of the three.

It would have been nice to get them each a bird, but they shared a great experience and the son ended up with a really nice bird.

Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Good father son hunt today (almost great) - 04/19/15 11:33 PM

up
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Good father son hunt today (almost great) - 04/20/15 12:30 AM

clap

Gman
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum