Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey Hunting with AR-15

Posted By: Antler Addicts

Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/10/15 09:46 PM

Posted By: westtex75

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/10/15 11:44 PM

You should post this under the "gobbler with hens tactics" thread. Didn't see this method listed there.
cyclo
Posted By: PSE-Madman

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/12/15 10:13 AM

Good idea. Lol
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/12/15 09:55 PM

You're missing out on the best part of spring turkey hunting..call'em in close and take'em down hard.

Gman
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/13/15 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
You're missing out on the best part of spring turkey hunting..call'em in close and take'em down hard.

Gman

Or let them run 500yd and blast them with a 50BMG. lol35
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/13/15 03:01 AM

50BMG is to much gun, 300WSM is plenty
Posted By: Ward McGee

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/13/15 03:55 PM

What a waste of a longbeard. That must be target practice, cause it damn sure ain't hunting (on any level).
Legal? Yes. Ethical? No way....
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/13/15 04:07 PM

Didn't see much fun or challenging in that, sorry, hope the meat wasn't wasted.
Posted By: Lipan Creep

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/13/15 07:05 PM

where is the sport in that?
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/13/15 07:34 PM

Unimpressed! What a shame!

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/13/15 07:40 PM

Shot placement was key to not harming any meat. The second follow up shot I was aiming for head and missed barely. It was tons of fun and I went home with a Tom and unharmed meat so I was happy. I was waiting for y'all to show up with the disapproval lol but it is legal and it was awesome and the shot was perfect. Whats that saying? Haters gonna...

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/13/15 07:41 PM

Feathers have been ruffled! non-traditional, but legal fellas smile
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/13/15 07:50 PM

You said in the video you were going to ruffle feathers, so I don't get the point of putting it in here when you knew it would happen. Trolling at best! up

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/13/15 08:00 PM

I share all our hunts whether folks approve or not, no need to fear a little criticism smile not trolling lol
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/14/15 10:24 AM

No feathers ruffled here..it perfectly legal, so hunt on. I just enjoy calling them in to shotgun or bow range.

Gman
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/14/15 11:31 AM

If they don't want to play ,I have no problem pulling out the rifle. LOVE eating wild turkeys. As long as it is legal, ENJOY hunting however you like it!

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/14/15 11:46 PM

Appreciate it fellas.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/15/15 06:45 PM

You do whatever floats your boat whistle

But for me.... I enjoy the challenge of calling in a turkey during the spring.
And if your lucky enough to call one into bow or shot gun range it's just icing on the cake up

I have no desire in killing turkeys with a rifle. It just isn't challenging enough for me confused2
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/15/15 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
You do whatever floats your boat whistle

But for me.... I enjoy the challenge of calling in a turkey during the spring.
And if your lucky enough to call one into bow or shot gun range it's just icing on the cake up

I have no desire in killing turkeys with a rifle. It just isn't challenging enough for me confused2

Agreed, the challenge makes it fun for me! I'd rather work my butt off the whole season trying to pull them in close and take no birds at all than to shoot them with a rifle.

Not ruffling my feathers. I actually laughed when I watched the video. All the moving around in the blind was too funny!
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/15/15 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
50BMG is to much gun, 300WSM is plenty

grin clap
Simple Searcher..Every thing is big in tx.
Sogo with the biggest.....!!!
juggle
Posted By: trash2

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/16/15 01:48 AM

Rifles, bait, and decoys.. I'll never understand. That being said I have used bait to get the to use property BUT if they're not gobbling I'm not deer hunting them
Posted By: trash2

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/16/15 01:49 AM

But if you had fun and it was legal then cheerleader
Posted By: GunsUpHunter

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/21/15 01:37 AM

I hunt with a couple of guys on my lease that only use rifles.... Just don't see how that's fun, at all. Sure once in a blue moon just to have fun, but all the time??? Meh. With that said I did take my AR out with me this weekend. I was calling for my son and figured if something came along like a fox, coyote, racoon etc I'd have my fun. I wouldn't have ruled out taking a tom that refused to come in though. smile

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/21/15 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: GunsUpHunter
I hunt with a couple of guys on my lease that only use rifles.... Just don't see how that's fun, at all. Sure once in a blue moon just to have fun, but all the time??? Meh. With that said I did take my AR out with me this weekend. I was calling for my son and figured if something came along like a fox, coyote, racoon etc I'd have my fun. I wouldn't have ruled out taking a tom that refused to come in though. smile

I agree with this, had to try once! I would do it again in future, but not primary method. Did you go to Texas Tech? Your user name sounds like a red raider?
Posted By: GunsUpHunter

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/21/15 04:49 PM

Yes sir.
Posted By: SpawnofChesty

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/21/15 05:38 PM

I like calling in the bird because of the interaction but I do not imagine the pilgrims called in their thanksgiving turkeys.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/21/15 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: SpawnofChesty
I do not imagine the pilgrims called in their thanksgiving turkeys.

You might be surprised. If they learned from the natives they did.
Posted By: diablodog

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/24/15 11:38 PM

I also shot my turkey this spring with an AR-15 in .223 . I really like to eat wild turkey , but not pellets or bloodshot meat . I thought mine was a fair hunt . I was up on a hill , I heard him way in the distance , I glassed him at about 1/2 mile away . I called him for near 40 minutes , watched him come in through breaks in the tree cover . I had a clear shot at 165 yards and hit him right in the base of the neck , NO meat damage at all . A SP-1 with a Colt 3x20mm scope at 165 , I thought that was a harder shot than a shotgun at 25 .
Posted By: Scoop

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/25/15 04:12 AM

Its not the difficulty of the shot that's an issue to me. Its the enjoyment that comes from seeing the birds up close while I am in camo sitting 15 yards away. I enjoy calling birds up for others just as much as myself, especially for kids. Its not about the shot, and if you get as much rush out of shooting one at a long distance, we just don't see turkey hunting as the same experience, which is fine. On many of my hunts a bird comes within 150 yards. Its getting them to come in that last 100 that's a challenge. If you want to tag out in a weekend, just sit in blinds with a rifle and shoot em when they come in to feed and drink. Might as well do it in the fall when they are all grouped up. Its legal, and I have no problem with it as long as you aren't hunting my ranch. But to me rifle hunting turkey misses out on the best part of the experience. If you get a rush out of it though, good for you.

Oh, and never had a problem with damaged, pellet filled meat. If you are only using a rifle to not damage meat, quit shot-gunning them in the breast...
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Turkey Hunting with AR-15 - 04/26/15 03:04 AM

For meat, I will use a rifle in the fall. For challenge, shotgun in spring. Nice video though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum