Texas Hunting Forum

headed out

Posted By: wal1809

headed out - 03/22/15 03:14 AM

0330 is coming fast. We are headed to Gonzales to get my wife her first bird. We have had horrible weather but it will turn out warm and sunny 0800. That should get them moving around. I shall report back in the AM.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: headed out - 03/22/15 02:18 PM

Not sure about Gonzales but there are a ton of big toms this season in my honey holes. It's gonna be a great hunt this year!

Good luck on the wife's hunt up

Re: headed out **Video Added** - 03/23/15 12:56 AM

10 minutes after daylight this tom came busting into the clearing. He wouldnt come under the fence and went along the fence line behind us. He crossed and came into the decoys from behind us and to the left of us. Of course as turkey hunting goes, that was the only one specific spot Julie couldn't shoot unless she moved her gun off the croc sticks and over branches. That seemed impossible but what follows will blow your mind if you have ever hunted turkey. He was 10 yards fanned out. He saw something, his body language changed and walked towards the fence. I motioned to Julie to get her gun off the sticks and shoot. She did, pulled trigger and CLICK!!!! Ohhhh ohhhhhh. She yanked the bolt back and I saw the shell fly out. She tried it again and click. I was behind her by 3 feet. I poke my shotgun barrel through the brush and told her to use mine. She dropped her gun, took mine, found the bird through the brush and kawhooom she brained him. He went down like a cow pattie. Who would have ever believed he would hang around that long? I looked at her gun and there was a cluster of oak leaves stuck to the bolt face, stopping the firing pin from hitting the shell hard enough to fire.

Posted By: aerangis

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 01:12 AM

Awesome Tom, congrats!!! up

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 01:31 AM

Thank you. She is jazzedup on turkey hunting for sure.

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 01:32 AM

Thank you. She is jazzedup on turkey hunting for sure.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 03:32 AM

Congratulations.
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 04:11 AM

Nice!
Posted By: Guadalupe Outfitters

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 04:43 AM

Loved the story behind the bird! Congrats!
Diane
Posted By: Cajun_in_Texas

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 12:40 PM

Awesome bird and what a story !

Congrats to your wife.
Posted By: Western

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 12:43 PM

Congrats on a nice Tom up Looking at the photo, looks like you couldn't have picked a nicer day.

Lesson for us all, always remove the oaks leaves after storage grin

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Congrats on a nice Tom up Looking at the photo, looks like you couldn't have picked a nicer day.

I am always on her arse about an open chamber when not in use. In the darkness after I got her set up, I loaded it by feel becausae I didn't want the roosting birds to see the light. That is unbelievable how it all went down. Good times! It was a great day to be breathing for sure.
Posted By: Western

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Originally Posted By: Western

I am always on her arse about an open chamber when not in use. In the darkness after I got her set up, I loaded it by feel becausae I didn't want the roosting birds to see the light. That is unbelievable how it all went down. Good times! It was a great day to be breathing for sure.

Hey, better safe than sorry. I once walked over 4 miles into the hills Elk hunting, got to my spot and found I had left my ammo in the gun case blush Was a long walk back and the camp ribbing was 10x's worse scared

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 06:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtIfZ-KC9U
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 07:37 PM

video is set to private

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
video is set to private

I went and hit the public button. Thank you for the heads up.

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 08:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXYLrz-jFqc
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 08:41 PM

no problem

Posted By: NMGW

Re: headed out - 03/23/15 10:55 PM

I can't get my wife to hunt, you are lucky you can share that with her. Congrats... up

Re: headed out - 03/24/15 01:08 PM

So does NMGW stand for New Mexico Game Warden? If so I need to pick your brain about New Mexico Game laws.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: headed out - 03/29/15 07:38 AM

Great job
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum