Texas Hunting Forum

Any Hill Country Birds?

Posted By: thedoveshooter

Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/17/15 05:16 AM

My best friend went to our lease near Rocksprings last week and said he didn't see or hear a bird. Has anyone seen and strutting or heard any gobblin?

We were covered up in them last spring and this past fall so I don't think they have left. Maybe last week's rainy, cool weather had them quiet.

- thedoveshooter
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/17/15 10:06 AM

If you had birds last spring and summer, you more then likely will have birds there or close by. Its not unusual that turkeys move in the fall/winter and return for the spring/summer. My family's land in OK is like that. In the winter, nary a bird can be found, but by late March, they are everywhere. The birds winter on the neighbors property. We can hear and see them.

Gman
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/17/15 12:40 PM

I was down at out lease in Blanco Co last week. It was real hit and miss. One morning and one evening they were all fired up on the roost, but almost no gobbles off the roost. It seems to be running a little later this year there.
Posted By: Western

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/17/15 01:11 PM

Been hearing the tom's "tomm'in" in the early morning, at daybreak here in Wise co.
Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/17/15 08:43 PM

Saw several groups west of Ingram last week strutting and gobbling some...
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/17/15 09:39 PM

I was in Rocksprings at my place this past weekend. Saw tons of birds and some of the gobblers were strutting.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/17/15 10:15 PM

I was at our lease in Gillispie county this last weekend and saw several Toms strutting and heard lots of birds early all the way up til noon. It should be a good year!!!

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/18/15 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I was at our lease in Gillispie county this last weekend and saw several Toms strutting and heard lots of birds early all the way up til noon. It should be a good year!!!

It should be...not all areas, but many received beneficial rainfall that they haven't had in several years. Last 2 hatches have been at, or slightly above normal, so should be plenty of 2 years olds running sround.

Gman

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/18/15 04:07 AM

Good to hear some folks are hearing/seeing some. Sounds like they are just getting going.

I just checked the weather and its supposed to be raining Saturday. I may just get up there then and hunt Sun - Tues when its supposed to be sunny.
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/19/15 11:38 PM

Sitting in a pop up looking for a doe axis now. Just had 7 hens come into corn with a strutting Tom just behind them. He pushed them off the corn and they all slipped away into the brush. Just a few miles SW of Rocksprings

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/20/15 01:29 AM

Saturday is shaping up to be a possible wet opening day in the south.

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/20/15 02:50 AM

Yep. I'm going to get to the lease Saturday and hunt Sun-Tues.

Its killing me to have to wait. I countdown the days for this stuff!
Posted By: therancher

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/23/15 08:07 PM

Been struttin drummin hissin and spittin for a couple of weeks here in mountain home.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/24/15 09:18 PM

When the weather cleared Sunday it was ON! Most vocal I've heard in a long time. Had 'em gobbling all day long.

About mid day we got to within a couple hundred yards of our property line, called, and two groups sounded off. We hurried up and setup along the fence right between them. Started calling again and the place went nuts. The birds to the north headed south, the ones to the south headed north. Only problem was that they were 50-75 yards on the other side of the fence. When the groups converged a 10 minute fight broke out. It sounded insane, wish we could have seen it through the brush.

After the fight the winners came up to fence but wouldn't cross it. Still one heck of a show.

Hunted Monday morning, too, but they were real quiet. I think they were hung over from the party, only a couple gobbles off the roost.

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/25/15 12:00 AM

I agree with Larry.

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I had multiple birds (at one time I heard eight different gobblers) around me. I just couldn't seal the deal. They would answer some but seemed disinterested. Had two come within sight and I even took my safety off, then a hen came from nowhere and its over. The hens must be very receptive still and the toms not interested in what I have to offer since the have the real deal. I also heard and saw hens everywhere. Hopefully after some get bred I might be able to entice an old tom in.

- thedoveshooter
Posted By: drm1983

Re: Any Hill Country Birds? - 03/26/15 08:33 PM

We just wrapped up a successful hunt in Mountain Home with a group of guys from Mississippi. They shot 24 birds in two days.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum