Texas Hunting Forum

red dot sight?

Posted By: foodieguy

red dot sight? - 02/19/15 12:48 AM

Hi guys,

I have a 26 barreled shotgun that I can put weaver style sights on. Was thinking about getting an inexpensive red dot sight like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Sport-Green-Reflex-Reticles/dp/B00457SRBI/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_i

Would something like that work ok for my first season? Total newbie here.

thx-
Posted By: trash2

Re: red dot sight? - 02/19/15 01:21 AM

If it's your first year just use a regular sight (bead). Red dot scopes are mainly for people that are really serious into patterning their guns or have a poi and poa that are very different.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: red dot sight? - 02/19/15 01:44 AM

You can almost bet that won't hold zero with magnum turkey loads. Sorry, but you're going to have to spend a few more dollars to get a site that you can rely on. That one might be good for air guns, that's about it.

I would pick up a set of adjustable rifle sights.

Gman
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: red dot sight? - 02/19/15 06:18 PM

My shotguns have two beads. Small one mid-barrel and the bigger colored one at the end. If you have the mid-barrel bead you can be very accurate with it and don't need anything else.
Posted By: Whitecrow

Re: red dot sight? - 02/19/15 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
My shotguns have two beads. Small one mid-barrel and the bigger colored one at the end. If you have the mid-barrel bead you can be very accurate with it and don't need anything else.

Very true, assuming your gun's POI and POA are the same. With the modern super tight turkey chokes, being off a couple inches at a close bird can result in a miss. Not familiar with that sight, but a sight of some sort properly adjusted would be a big help.

Re: red dot sight? - 02/19/15 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitecrow

Very true, assuming your gun's POI and POA are the same. With the modern super tight turkey chokes, being off a couple inches at a close bird can result in a miss. Not familiar with that sight, but a sight of some sort properly adjusted would be a big help.

+1

With todays turkey chokes & loads, I really like the adjustability of rifle sights for tuning that point of aim to the true point of impact. They can be attached to virtually any vent rib shotgun. With beads, you have no adjustability.

Gman
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: red dot sight? - 02/19/15 09:23 PM

Have y'all had issues with you're beads not being true? Every one I've patterned was perfect, which make sense since they are sitting right on top of the barrel.

I don't like the idea of raised sights cuz I like to run and gun. I fear they can get bumped pretty easily. My beads can't move on me.

To each their own I guess. Never missed without an after-market sight... (knocking on wood)

Re: red dot sight? - 02/20/15 03:30 AM

Have y'all had issues with you're beads not being true?

I have not...but know some have. Both of my turkey guns have factory rifle sights, no beads.

Gman
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum