Texas Hunting Forum

Eastern Turkey Report

Posted By: Tjack28

Eastern Turkey Report - 12/25/14 08:09 AM

Howdy guys! From time to time I'll post updates as far as what I've experienced or what's been shared with me concerning turkeys in east Texas. I posted a few photos of one of the releases that TPWD and NWTF helped to make happen in Anderson county back in February of this year, and I recently heard some good reports from of of the biologist working on the projects on polts being sighted this past summer and even recently a good sized bachelor group of jakes and gobblers in on public land in Anderson county.

I've also heard from some of you guys on the forum about a lot of sightings in eastern Anderson county near areas where the first test super stockings took place in 2007-2008 which shows that the birds have been doing well and spreading beyond the areas they were originally released. With that being said I thought I'd start this post for others who are interested in the restoration project and also would like to keep up with the progress. If you've noticed eastern turkeys in areas that you have seen them much in the past can you share an update of what you've seen? I wouldn't suggest exact locations as there are nuckle heads out there who'd probably like to find out exactly where so they can come up with their own turkey season, but at least share the general area like eastern or western portion of the county near such and such town would give a general idea of travel patterns.

I usually check with multiple biologist working on the turkey program, but I usually try to share a lot of the info I gather with a couple of these guys as well. I believe just like the check stations have helped gather info on populations in different counties, I believe reports of bird sightings and numbers of hens, polts and jakes/Toms also help out a hole lot on how the program is working and where the birds are traveling.

Anyway, I know this is a very interesting/exciting subject for me and I'm sure it is for many of you as well. Anderson and Rusk counties received a large number of stocked birds this past winter. I know currently that Trinity county is next on the list in the coming months. If you have any sightings/experiences you like to share feel free to do so in this post. I think it will be interesting to see what everyone's seeing out there and for those of you who are NWTF members to see your super fund dollars at work. Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!
Posted By: cos

Re: Eastern Turkey Report - 12/25/14 04:46 PM

Thanks Tjack, what is the lastest report you have gotten on Gus Engling super stocking. Heard it seems to be positive so far. I have formed the Brushy Creek Coop in an attempt to qualify for a stocking when birds are available.
Gary

Re: Eastern Turkey Report - 12/25/14 05:42 PM

Gus Engling was the place I was talking about the where the biologist saw a good sized bachelor group of toms. He saw them while he was out duck hunting a few weeks ago and mentioned it while I was talking to him about coming up to duck hunt on thanksgiving weekend. He said the birds are doing pretty well and that they had a decent hatch and a good number of the polts survived this year.

I'd heard positive things about the Brushy Creek Co-op and that although the release probably wouldn't happen this release period (Jan. - March 2015), that it was on this list of places with a pretty good possibility for a future release...be GREAT if it could happen the winter of 2016. Of course I'm rooting for that one as well because you're right down the road from our place just outside of Frankston. As I've mentioned, I heard gobblers 2 summers back on our neighbors place which were probably migrants from birds that were released on the Nechez river in southeast Anderson county in 2007-2008. Our place is about 3 minutes from the Neches river so those birds probably traveled up from the south.

Brushy Creek is a lot closer to us than the Neches release site further south, so if the release happens I'll definitely be on the lookout for birds expanding their new territory. I've been planting Allegheny Chinquapin, American and Dunstan chestnut trees as well as American Hazelnuts and other things turkeys love. When I start getting more evidence of them being in the area I'll throw in a chuffa plot as well. Keep your eyes skinned and your ears open....

Posted By: fish123

Re: Eastern Turkey Report - 01/02/15 04:26 AM

We are in East Anderson County and we have not seen any. I would love to hear from others if they have seen any turkey??

Re: Eastern Turkey Report - 01/02/15 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: fish123
We are in East Anderson County and we have not seen any. I would love to hear from others if they have seen any turkey??

Like I mentioned earlier in this post, our place is in northeast Anderson and we heard gobblers a couple of years ago, but nothing since then. There was another forum member a while back that said they've been seeing lots of hens (20-30) and a few gobblers on their deer lease in Anderson county. He didn't say which part of Anderson and I haven't seen any more posts from him on the matter. Had to be in east Anderson because this was before the release at Gus Engling in western Anderson last year. Folks in eastern Anderson should eventually start seeing more birds...especially if you're near the Nechez river.

The birds released from the 2007 - 2008 super stocking along the Nechez in southeast Anderson co. did pretty well. This past year they trapped a lot of Texas born birds that have been thriving in the area from that initial release so they could add radio trackers to do additional research.

What type of habitat do you have on your place? Our place is small and had more pasture than timber except for along a creek and few other small patchy areas. I started letting a lot more timber grow up and leaving meadow like openings, while at the same time planting a lot of other mast trees that produce foods turkeys love like chinquapins, chestnuts, and hazels ans all sorts of forbs and berries and other useful plants. A lot of folks don't realize that chinquapins used to grow all over east TX from Anderson co eastward, and just like it's relative the American chestnut that used to grow east of the Mississippi it was a major food source for wild turkeys and tons of other critters. Perhaps you should start making some habitat enhancements to prepare for their arrival so when they do move into your area they may stick around. Do you have cameras out? I wouldn't be surprised if they're in your area, but just not as vocal and are sticking to cover. Either way ...keep your eyes open and make preparations...

Re: Eastern Turkey Report - 02/13/15 01:40 AM

Just thought I'd bring this back into few in case someone would like to share...
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Eastern Turkey Report - 02/13/15 02:43 PM

How could a person get some released on their place??
We have over 750 acres in Panola Co all in the river bottom. There is about 300 acres (scattered about) that had timber cut a few years back and is real thick now. Places like this is what I hear is perfect for nesting.
I heard TPWD did a release some years ago not far from us, just don't know how much truth is in that though. We have seen some occasionally, but I'm talking about a hen there, a jake and hen here and only one jake caught on camera. Back in 2008, I heard a gobbler talking up a storm 4 days before season opened, but it rain the next 3 days and flooded the bottom thru the whole season. Never did to get to hunt that bird. That was the last one I heard, although we did have a couple more visuals since then.

Re: Eastern Turkey Report - 02/13/15 05:34 PM

To be considered for a release you must have either 10,000 continuous acres of suitable habitat or you can start a co-op with enough of your neighbors to where the combined acreage is 10,000 acres. A biologist will come out and assess the property and let you know where to go from there. You can contact your local biologist or email Jason Hardin at Jason.Hardin@tpwd.texas.gov.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum