Texas Hunting Forum

Taurus Judge for turkey

Posted By: Flatscat281

Taurus Judge for turkey - 11/29/11 10:09 PM

Has anyone ever used the Taurus Judge to shoot a turkey? If so, what kind of loads did you use and what is the max distance it will reach? I assume it is legal to use a handgun to shoot a turkey?

Sorry if this question has been posted before but I have very limited time to get on the internet and keep up with all the post on the forum. Thanks.

Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 11/29/11 10:48 PM

?????

Keep your shots under about 5 yards and it will probbably work.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 11/29/11 10:52 PM

At the range you still would have a tight enough pattern to be effective 7 1/2 shot will work, perhaps 5 yards. would ahve to pattern one to know for sure

With my Contender and a 10 inch barrel I am comfortable taking a 15 yard shot, but that has the longer barrel and a choke

Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 11/29/11 11:46 PM

Don't do it....

Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 11/29/11 11:46 PM

I would not even try it !!! Turkey's are tough a$# bird's with thick feather's. You need a lot of shot with a medium to full choke with a shotgun. That Judge do'es not have the range or tightness to shoot at Turkey's with out spraying them and wounding them with shot. Plese Take a shotgun.

Posted By: Friction

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 11/30/11 12:14 AM

i personally wouldn't use anything under 250 grains. grin

Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 11/30/11 12:27 AM

Not advisable

Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 11/30/11 04:37 PM

I would check the legal side of it because you would be shooting a shotgun with a barrel under 18 inches. I would just use the .45 round for turkey that is if you are not in a shotgun only county

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 11/30/11 06:29 PM

Why would ya!

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 11/30/11 06:40 PM

In 30+ years of turkey hunting I can think of 3 rutkeys out of hundreds called in that were shot at close enough range to think about taking with a Tarus judge and the 410 shell. I have taken a couple with the TC Contender using 410. At the time I checked with the GW and we agreed the 410 pistol would be legal for hunting Rio Grandturkey and quail etc, but not for dove which by Federal law requires the shotgun be fored from the shoulder.

That was about 20 years ago though. I still carry the Contender sometimes usually along with a shotgun, jsut not as often as I once did.

Posted By: GeneralLefty

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 12/07/11 12:06 AM

wont work lol

Posted By: txd33rhunt3r

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 12/09/11 04:35 AM

I wouldn't try it. If its the difficulty of it try hunting with a .22 instead. Much more difficult.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 12/10/11 04:00 AM

I have killed several with a .22. I will try my judge this year if I can get close enough. I have some #4 shot loads that pattern fairly well. I have killed plenty varmints out to 10-15 yds with #6.

Don't get me wrong O'l Tom is gonna have to dang near kiss the barrel before I pull the trigger on him.

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 12/10/11 05:49 AM

As long as you get them close enough I do not see why you cannot do it. I often take the TC Contender out in a shoulder holster and if they get close enough use it. Do not see any problem doing that with thunder chickens

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 12/10/11 06:33 PM

The Judge was made as a self defense weapon...If a turkey attacks you by all means you should use your judge to kill it!!

Posted By: FLDOUG

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 12/14/11 09:12 PM

I ain't killed enough Gobblers to try shooting them with pistols and/or .22s or hornet rifles. I just love killing them with a 12 gauge.

But It probably could be done. We have blown the heck out of rattle snakes with the JUDGE.

Posted By: Otto

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 12/15/11 03:05 AM

Why would you shoot a turkey with a Taurus judge? What's the point?
If you want challenge use a bow.

Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Taurus Judge for turkey - 12/15/11 03:58 AM

Heck !! If that Gobbler get's that close just " GRAB IT BY THE NECK " and go to swingin !!!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum