Texas Hunting Forum

Late Season Help Please!!!!

Posted By: Capt.Engine2

Late Season Help Please!!!! - 04/30/11 11:11 PM

I'm an Avid turkey hunter but never been late in the season. I hunt in Menard County about 15 miles North of Fort McKavett. I went the second weekend in April and hunted my arse off and heard maybe 3 gobbles. The entire lease was dry dry dry. No rainfall in Months. We finally did get a decent rain in the last week or so. I'm thinking about making an emergency trip in the next week or so. Am I wasting my time? Anyone hunt in that area? Any help is appreciated.

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/01/11 01:26 AM

If Jeff W gets on here he could tell ya. He hunts and guides in that area

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/01/11 01:09 PM

Same here capt. We are West of you but the birds are acting the same. The birds are there, just not vocal. You have to hunt them like you would in the fall.

My theory is that the predators have gotten so thick over the last couple years the birds are quiet. We have killed over 40 coons and skunks since Feb. most sickly. I recommend serious varmint hunting.

Posted By: Reality Outdoors

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/01/11 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: highlonesome1
Same here capt. We are West of you but the birds are acting the same. The birds are there, just not vocal. You have to hunt them like you would in the fall.

My theory is that the predators have gotten so thick over the last couple years the birds are quiet. We have killed over 40 coons and skunks since Feb. most sickly. I recommend serious varmint hunting.

I second the predator control I hunt predators in lots of counties across the state and they are def on the increase in most counties. I would also suggest some long term predator control (trapping/snares) all predators/varmints are hard on turkeys either eating the eggs or the turkeys themselves. Hogs are also hurting the turkey population very bad

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/05/11 06:38 PM

Last part of season can be very good I hear. Especially now that you have had some rain.

Posted By: friscoman

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/05/11 06:48 PM

Been hunting them in Brown county and they are only vocal in the morning off the roost and late in the evening going to roost. Not coming to calls at all and sometimes going away from calls with decoys. Have heard that the hens wont breed until it rains which should be better now with rain in our area. Also, hens with toms will take the toms away if you try to call them. Ambush is probably the only solution this late.

Posted By: cable

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/05/11 08:25 PM

Hunt them like you did in the early season. While it was ineffective then, it should be primetime now. The birds are getting a late start because of the lack of rain. I bet you will be pleased with the results if you keep with the early season approach.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/06/11 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: cable
Hunt them like you did in the early season. While it was ineffective then, it should be primetime now. The birds are getting a late start because of the lack of rain. I bet you will be pleased with the results if you keep with the early season approach.

X2, On the last 2 Saturdays I have called in 9, 4 hakes and 5 long beards. Keep it up the birds are still there.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/06/11 12:46 AM

Can't get any sitting at home.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/07/11 04:06 AM

Saw several today in Eastland County following 3 to 6 hens. Where was more Gobbling than I have ever heard in the woods from early to about 9:30. Had 2 groups of hens with Gobbler in toe this morning that avoided the decoy and took the tom elswhere this morning, this afternoon no decoy out, killed a 23.5lb bird with inch spurs and 10+ inch beard. Going back out in the am, have one tag left.

Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/09/11 04:00 PM

I have hunted turkeys in north Menard county for years. All ways same thing...maybe one or two gobbles to calls if you are lucky. They come in most of time, but not vocal at all while coming in. This past week end the first day no gobbles and only saw hens (a lot of hens). But Sunday morning got a responce gobble for long was out and to my suprise three toms (all good mature birds) came in by almost completely surounding my set up. It took about a hour and thirty minutes and they were sounding off the whole way. When in range and I picked the best one I dropped him. It seems he may be the best bird taken of the place that any one remembers and he is my personal best. Good thick beard (actually a double beard) and over 1 1/4 spurs. Sorry about the brag, but dang it I am still pumped! So by all means head out if you can since there is still one more weekend.

Posted By: Big Billy Kinder

Re: Late Season Help Please!!!! - 05/09/11 04:04 PM

Great job frog! Sounds like you were patient and persistent.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum