Texas Hunting Forum

Chupacabra down

Posted By: LarryCopper

Chupacabra down - 04/09/18 03:35 PM

I was turkey hunting yesterday morning in a draw. From across it to the right in this pic I saw her headed to my left.

Since I had the decoys out, I thought... hey, I'll make an excited alarm call and see how it reacts to the decoys. Well, it worked, but she didn't go towards the decoys. She came towards me. I was thinking once she got in a clearing that if I had a clean shot I would take it. When she got there she turned right towards me, looking right at me, and kept coming. It switched from offense to defense pretty quick. Once she got about 4-5 yards from me and closing I decided that was close enough.

Posted By: TooLow

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/09/18 03:36 PM

Nasty little thing!
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/09/18 06:40 PM

Did her a favor. As bad as I hate coyotes, I don't want any animal to suffer. Good job.
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/09/18 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bar-D
Did her a favor. As bad as I hate coyotes, I don't want any animal to suffer. Good job.

Coyote? I guess you didn't read the post heading. That, my friend, is a bonafide chupacabre.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/09/18 09:55 PM

elmer
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/10/18 12:23 AM

Looks like you did her a favor.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/10/18 12:42 AM

Head mount or full body? taz
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/10/18 02:18 AM

Someone shoots one of them ugly things ever so often. Man they look terrible.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/10/18 03:15 AM

Might as well go for the Texas Big Four ...now all you need is a Sasquatch ,Black Panther and a Jackalope.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/10/18 03:19 PM

Good job on the Chupa!

Just a word of warning...you really don't want to handle these if at all possible. The condition is caused by the sarcoptic mite (Sarcoptes scabiei). They were not indigenous to North America and were introduced intentionally to kill off wolves and coyotes. This initially had a pretty good impact on the population, but as you might expect, there were survivors and animals more resistant to the mite that passed on their genes. Now, it is just a horrific menace, still can be fatal, but as we know, the coyote population is doing fine. The wolf population also recovered and was subsequently lowered by other meants.

The reason you don't want to handle these is because the mite can transfer to you and/or your clothing. It can result in a condition called 'scabies' in humans and can transfer to your furry pets.

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/10/18 03:57 PM

^^^ I appreciate the warning, I figured that I shouldn't handle it. I laid out a rope next to it, used a couple of sticks to roll it onto the rope, tied it up, dragged to the bone yard, and cut the rope. sick

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/10/18 03:59 PM

I'm working on that black panther for the TX slam! nuts

Gonna have to find a place in East TX for squatchin' tho...
Posted By: DWADR

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/12/18 02:49 AM

I went to see a client a few years ago and she was sitting on her porch. She told me that her house was infested with scabies and we should not go in there. I assumed she meant fleas but now that I know what this is, I’m glad I didn’t go in there.
Posted By: JCCinOhio

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/13/18 01:42 PM

Still trying to find out what this is.. from a game cam by Vernon..

[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...502231541177793[/img]
Posted By: HunterMattW2

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/13/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhio

looks like two hogs lined up to me...
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/13/18 09:06 PM

Makin' Bacon …
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Chupacabra down - 04/16/18 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
Might as well go for the Texas Big Four ...now all you need is a Sasquatch ,Black Panther and a Jackalope.

happy3 roflmao
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Chupacabra down - 05/14/18 05:01 PM

Well, that’s just nasty
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Chupacabra down - 05/14/18 07:24 PM

Nice......
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Texasteach

Re: Chupacabra down - 05/14/18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Good job on the Chupa!

Just a word of warning...you really don't want to handle these if at all possible. The condition is caused by the sarcoptic mite (Sarcoptes scabiei). They were not indigenous to North America and were introduced intentionally to kill off wolves and coyotes. This initially had a pretty good impact on the population, but as you might expect, there were survivors and animals more resistant to the mite that passed on their genes. Now, it is just a horrific menace, still can be fatal, but as we know, the coyote population is doing fine. The wolf population also recovered and was subsequently lowered by other meants.

The reason you don't want to handle these is because the mite can transfer to you and/or your clothing. It can result in a condition called 'scabies' in humans and can transfer to your furry pets.

That is actually very interesting. I found this article on it:

Introduction of Mange to Destroy Wolves in 1905 Montana

Re: Chupacabra down - 05/17/18 03:29 PM

I psyched myself out. A couple of days after I noticed an odd rash on my right shoulder. eek

But after reading up on it, it takes 2 weeks for full scale scabies to kick in. peep

Out of the woods now so to speak.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Chupacabra down - 05/28/18 04:47 PM

Makin' bacon.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Chupacabra down - 05/29/18 06:54 PM

Looks like one hog broke down, so his buddy is trying to push start...
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Chupacabra down - 06/01/18 02:05 PM

The chupacabra or chupacabras (Spanish pronunciation: [tʃupaˈkaβɾas], literally "goat-sucker"; from chupar, "to suck", and cabra, "goat") is a legendary creature in the folklore of parts of the Americas, with its first purported sightings reported in Puerto Rico.[1] The name comes from the animal's reported habit of attacking and drinking the blood of livestock, including goats.

Physical descriptions of the creature vary. It is purportedly a heavy creature, the size of a small bear, with a row of spines reaching from the neck to the base of the tail.

Eyewitness sightings have been claimed in Puerto Rico, and have since been reported as far north as Maine, and as far south as Chile, and even being spotted outside the Americas in countries like Russia and the Philippines, but many of the reports have been disregarded as uncorroborated or lacking evidence. Sightings in northern Mexico and the southern United States have been verified as canids afflicted by mange.[2] According to biologists and wildlife management officials, the chupacabra is an urban legend.[3]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Chupacabra down - 06/01/18 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: shooterwalter
The chupacabra or chupacabras (Spanish pronunciation: [tʃupaˈkaβɾas], literally "goat-sucker"; from chupar, "to suck", and cabra, "goat") is a legendary creature in the folklore of parts of the Americas, with its first purported sightings reported in Puerto Rico.[1] The name comes from the animal's reported habit of attacking and drinking the blood of livestock, including goats.

Physical descriptions of the creature vary. It is purportedly a heavy creature, the size of a small bear, with a row of spines reaching from the neck to the base of the tail.

Eyewitness sightings have been claimed in Puerto Rico, and have since been reported as far north as Maine, and as far south as Chile, and even being spotted outside the Americas in countries like Russia and the Philippines, but many of the reports have been disregarded as uncorroborated or lacking evidence. Sightings in northern Mexico and the southern United States have been verified as canids afflicted by mange.[2] According to biologists and wildlife management officials, the chupacabra is an urban legend.[3]

....or it could just be a mangy coyote........ confused2
Posted By: easttxhoghunter

Re: Chupacabra down - 06/01/18 06:36 PM

Mangy coyote would be my guess, killed one a year ago at first light, was using a call and it came within 30'. Didn't dare touch it. a week later all that was left was the skull, the rest was gone.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum