Texas Hunting Forum

City Squirrel

Posted By: shea.mcphail

City Squirrel - 12/23/17 11:18 PM

I have heard people say that city squirrel is gross and bad for you. Do you guys eat squirrel from cities?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: City Squirrel - 12/24/17 12:14 AM

I don’t eat squirrels period
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: City Squirrel - 12/24/17 03:19 AM

Ive eaten plenty of them in town, they're fine....
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: City Squirrel - 12/24/17 06:54 AM

Hadn't eaten one in years. Can only eat it in dumplings...

The squirrels in my neighborhood still eat nuts, and an occasional wire..I assume they're good.
Posted By: a74aggie

Re: City Squirrel - 12/24/17 02:18 PM

Never did when I lived in the city. Now I live in the country, and still don't.....
Posted By: breadman

Re: City Squirrel - 12/25/17 02:55 AM

good viddels
Posted By: yotehater

Re: City Squirrel - 12/25/17 01:22 PM

Tree rats, I'll pass.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: City Squirrel - 12/25/17 05:33 PM

you all never been poor & hungry
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: City Squirrel - 12/26/17 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: colt45
you all never been poor & hungry

Not sure poor and hungry comes into play, squirrel is damn fine eating. Squirrels in town live off of pecan tree's and bird feeders, I'd say as good or better than a country squirrel. Ones around the old house were fat as tick's. Now shooting squirrels inside the city limit's may be a whole different story. Then again that subject usually turns into a thread of it's own.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: City Squirrel - 12/26/17 04:47 AM

Does anyone shoot squirrel in city limits? Just curious..
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: City Squirrel - 12/26/17 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail

At the old house in town it's against the law, no shooting of firearms or air rifles inside the city limits.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: City Squirrel - 12/26/17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

At the old house in town it's against the law, no shooting of firearms or air rifles inside the city limits.
My Grandpa used to sit on the back porch and shoot them with a home made slingshot. He was deadly with that thing.Shot lead balls at them.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: City Squirrel - 12/27/17 01:55 AM

Yep, been that poor and hungry, have ate em in stews and such. But now I have a $1.298. NO WAY!!!
Posted By: ratdog

Re: City Squirrel - 12/28/17 02:06 AM

The reason I was given to not eat city squirrels was that they chew on the lead flashings around vent pipes. I know they do because I remember seeing the teeth marks on them growing up. I have always enjoyed hunting and eating squirrels, but admit I pass on the city ones.
Posted By: activescrape

Re: City Squirrel - 12/28/17 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: ratdog
The reason I was given to not eat city squirrels was that they chew on the lead flashings around vent pipes. I know they do because I remember seeing the teeth marks on them growing up. I have always enjoyed hunting and eating squirrels, but admit I pass on the city ones.

^^^^I spent decades in the roofing biz and and city squirrels definitely eat lots of lead from the roofs. I love eating squirrel but would never eat a city squirrel.
Posted By: GrandmasterB

Re: City Squirrel - 12/30/17 04:21 AM

Eewww. City squirrel.
Posted By: Dupi

Re: City Squirrel - 12/30/17 09:07 AM

I think I will pass. Asian people known to eat crazy stuff and I’m Asian.
Posted By: Da' Hitman

Re: City Squirrel - 12/30/17 06:55 PM

Don't eat em, but i love plinking em with a bb gun. In a mean twist of karma, we now have squirrels in our soffet fml. I have traps and bait set but feel like Elmer Fudd sneaking around my yard trying to shoot em all
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: City Squirrel - 01/02/18 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

My Grandpa used to sit on the back porch and shoot them with a home made slingshot. He was deadly with that thing.Shot lead balls at them.

I wonder if your granpda is the same old man that took me and my buddy rattlesnake hunting on Throckmorton highway one night? That guy could hit a moving snake on the head from 50 yards out. Unbelievable if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: City Squirrel - 01/09/18 03:41 PM

Me and 3 neighbors shoot them in the middle of Dallas. We have a good size garden and if we didn't I wouldn't see a harvest. I bet we have shot a couple hundred
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum