Texas Hunting Forum

Not exactly "hunting"

Posted By: mikei

Not exactly "hunting" - 11/13/17 10:30 PM

I am getting game camera pics of raccoons by the dozens at feeders and stock tanks, so I decided to set a few traps so I could thin the herd a bit. In two days I got 4 of the buggers, and they all came for the mini-marsh mellows I baited the traps with. Four down, forty, at least, to go!

Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/13/17 10:47 PM

I sympathize with you. I gotta start thinning the little rascals out around here too. They show up every night and get their selfies made on the game cameras while gorging themselves on my corn. I don't mind them getting a snack now and then but when they start damaging my feeders and solar panels, it's time to do something.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/14/17 07:33 AM

Good work!

Hate those corn theiving, feeder breaking bastages... cheers up rifle
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/14/17 04:46 PM

What kind of trap is that? I've not seen one like that before.

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/14/17 06:18 PM

I use the same kind. They are Duke Dogproof Traps, or similar design. They work great.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/14/17 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
Good work!

Hate those corn theiving, feeder breaking bastages... cheers up rifle

I hate ring tailed rats....
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/14/17 08:21 PM

Wish I could use dog proof traps on Ft Hood.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/14/17 08:53 PM

Quote:
I hate ring tailed rats....

How do you feel about raccoons? grin
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/14/17 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: bar-d
I use the same kind. They are Duke Dogproof Traps, or similar design. They work great.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check into those. I've got Texas persimmons on my place and man do those trees attract the coons.

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/15/17 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Sirrah243
Originally Posted By: bar-d
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check into those. I've got Texas persimmons on my place and man do those trees attract the coons.

Set a few dog proof traps around the Texas persimmons, bait them with mini marshmellows, and make sure to set the traps far enough apart that the coons can't reach each other as they try to escape the foot hold. They'll wrap around and around each other and the trap anchors and pull themselves out, even if it costs them a foot in the process. Sounds like you have a target rich environment, so best of luck and let us know how it goes. Another thing they'll do if the traps are too close, is to get one foot in each of two traps!

Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/15/17 02:27 AM

up
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/15/17 03:31 PM

Same here. If they full up all of the traps set more. A couple weeks ago on one of our properties we had 8 set between 3 feeders and had every trap with a coon in it the next morning.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/15/17 03:43 PM

I'll have to switch to the mini marshmallows. I've tried peanut butter but that does not work very well.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/15/17 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter-Steve
I'll have to switch to the mini marshmallows. I've tried peanut butter but that does not work very well.

Mini marshmallows and syrup, deer corn, a few pieces of cat food, floating catfish food. All of those have worked well for me.

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/15/17 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieman775
Originally Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Mini marshmallows and syrup, deer corn, a few pieces of cat food, floating catfish food. All of those have worked well for me.

Since I have a bunch of barn cats running around here and buy cat food in 50 lb sacks, I just bait mine with the dry cat food. Has worked well for me.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/26/17 03:13 AM

Had one that was so fat he couldn't get out of my hog trap. Every other one I've gotten can make it out, not so with fat boy. He did do quite a bit of digging.

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/26/17 09:50 PM

I've caught a few "round 'uns," but never as fat as that one you got! And, yes, they are some digging fools. My live traps of course have a bottom in them, but even with that, they tear the ground up pretty bad directly under and than all around the trap.

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/27/17 02:16 AM

I'm still missing on of my dukes traps. Coon pulled 2 foot of rebar out of wet ground and vanished with it. Keep waiting to hear the chain walking though the woods attached to a peg leg coon lol.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/27/17 09:40 AM

I've been using those Duke traps for years now and they work quite well. I started with marshmallows and had good success, but once you start getting rain/hot sun and varying conditions like that you end up with a gooey mess in the traps. I switched to cheap cat food and do just as good without the mess. I was feeding a lot of fish, and buying large bags of floating fish food and actually it was the best so far. Not only did the coons love it...it would not absorb water and never a clean up problem.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/27/17 10:58 AM

Coons live a dangerous life...

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/27/17 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Stony
I've been using those Duke traps for years now and they work quite well. I started with marshmallows and had good success, but once you start getting rain/hot sun and varying conditions like that you end up with a gooey mess in the traps. I switched to cheap cat food and do just as good without the mess. I was feeding a lot of fish, and buying large bags of floating fish food and actually it was the best so far. Not only did the coons love it...it would not absorb water and never a clean up problem.

Use a water hose with a high pressure sprayer and the marshmallows will basically liquefy if you run into that again.

Re: Not exactly "hunting" - 11/27/17 04:57 PM

What rexmitchell said!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum