Texas Hunting Forum

Prairie Dog Hunt

Posted By: DLALLDER

Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/08/17 09:36 PM

Anyone have any suggestions as to where a guy could go on a prairie dog hunt in 2018. Would appreciate any information you might be willing to put out. Looking for public area hunts or sensible outfitter hunts, not willing to pay $300/day to shoot PDs. PM me if you want. Thanks Daniel
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/08/17 10:26 PM

go north young man go north, Ok.panhandle, Western Ks., ck out the feed stores in the smaller towns, that's how I used to find dog towns.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/08/17 11:52 PM

Yeah; don't mess with Texas, 'cause there just ain't nothing happening this year or next in our state. Be very careful about hooking up with Texas outfitters that promise good PD hunting; I tried a couple of them and it was a total bust. Go north, as suggested, or go REALLY north to the Dakotas. May not have to pay 300 a day, but the expense of the drive and meals and motels could very well drive it up very close to that. Also, be sure to ask for references with whoever you try to work with, and if they won't provide them, stay away, 'cause something ain't right.

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/09/17 12:21 AM

We don't mind going to Wyoming, N or S Dakota. Sort of thinking of making the trip a two purpose trip, visit Yellowstone and PD hunt. Thanks. Daniel

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/09/17 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
We don't mind going to Wyoming, N or S Dakota. Sort of thinking of making the trip a two purpose trip, visit Yellowstone and PD hunt. Thanks. Daniel

That would be a good package, so even if the PD hunt doesn't work out, you've still had a great trip. Try the Indian Reservations in N or S Dakota. They're generally honest, affordable, and will provide anywhere from very general guide service (like, "hunt here,") to full service, take you where the 'dogs are and help you spot and set up; and other levels of service to fit you needs and budget. But still, demand references and call them and talk to them about their experiences.

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/09/17 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: mikei

That would be a good package, so even if the PD hunt doesn't work out, you've still had a great trip. Try the Indian Reservations in N or S Dakota. They're generally honest, affordable, and will provide anywhere from very general guide service (like, "hunt here,") to full service, take you where the 'dogs are and help you spot and set up; and other levels of service to fit you needs and budget. But still, demand references and call them and talk to them about their experiences.

Mike, where would a guy get any phone numbers? My first choice is Wyoming, mainly because no license fee even for non resident.

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/09/17 02:05 AM

Mike, where would a guy get any phone numbers? My first choice is Wyoming, mainly because no license fee even for non resident.

DLALLDER, it's been 4-5 years since I've been up there. Old age and failing health keep me pretty well anchored around CenTex. I'll dig around and see if I can find some contacts for you. They will be "aged," as you can imagine, but it may provide a lead or two for you.

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/09/17 02:46 PM

DLALLDER, I found two possible leads for you:

Lewis Outdoor Adventures
Strasburg, WY
307-359-1796

Oak Creek Outfitters
So. Dakota
605-840-0182

As I cautioned you earlier, these contacts are at least 5 years old. I'm sure there's been lots of changes of personnel over the years, as the turnover rate is quite high. And, like everything else, the cost per day has probably gone up considerably, especially since Texas has been out of the PD Hunt business for a few years, and Texans have been forced to go out of state to get their PD fixes! Good luck, and keep us apprised of what you find out in your search.

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/14/17 08:22 PM

Thanks, mikei. Have talked to one outfitter already, just $750/day for the wife and I. Got the impression the lodging is very basic. Will keep you updated.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/16/17 12:53 PM

Yeah; don't mess with Texas, 'cause there just ain't nothing happening this year or next in our state. Be very careful about hooking up with Texas outfitters that promise good PD hunting; I tried a couple of them and it was a total bust. Go north, as suggested, or go REALLY north to the Dakotas. May not have to pay 300 a day, but the expense of the drive and meals and motels could very well drive it up very close to that. Also, be sure to ask for references with whoever you try to work with, and if they won't provide them, stay away, 'cause something ain't right.

Just curious why Texas PD hunting won't be very good? I've considered one of these trips too and assumed I could go somewhere towards the panhandle.
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/16/17 02:36 PM

Contact any of the ranchers along 412 between Clayton and springer, NM.
Most will allow PD shooting if they take a liking to you
Good Luck.

Or contact the BLM in Montana. Malta used to be a great area to shoot PD's.
Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/17/17 04:46 AM

Check with local farmers in the OK panhandle. I can't remember the name of the town but we were dead South of liberal Kansas. Tons of PD towns to shoot up there. The farmers hate then and allow free shooting just gotta get off the path.

Re: Prairie Dog Hunt - 10/17/17 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton

Just curious why Texas PD hunting won't be very good? I've considered one of these trips too and assumed I could go somewhere towards the panhandle.

DocHorton, disease has just about wiped out the PD population in Texas. They will recover, but it takes a long time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum