Texas Hunting Forum

Bobcat hunting?

Posted By: chrswr

Bobcat hunting? - 07/24/17 09:00 PM

I'm trying to decide if I am going to Camo-Out under a tree, or set up in a popup blind

Your thoughts and expertise is appreciated.

Obviously in a popup I can be more comfortable and have a little 'wiggle' room, or freedom to move around a bit, where as if i'm sitting under a tree ive got to be quite still. But will the cat be weary of something new it its territory?

Thanks for you incite

CW
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/24/17 09:03 PM

1st, are you sure there are cats in the area? IF I think there might be, I try to find the best spot to sit up, won't go much past 30-35 minutes to see if a cat shows, so you could be wasting time.

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/24/17 09:24 PM

There is at least 1. Ive seen him on a trail cam 5 different times in about 4 weeks
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/24/17 09:31 PM

I'd wait till winter when they have a nice thick coat and are worth mounting
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/24/17 10:19 PM

If you are going for a mount I would agree with Sniper.. Otherwise A pop up blind seems like a lot of work for only 20-30 mins at a stand. IF they do not show up within 20-30 mins of calling they are not coming.

If you are in texas call at night with the cover of darkness and you will have a lot more leeway.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/25/17 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
If you are going for a mount I would agree with Sniper.. Otherwise A pop up blind seems like a lot of work for only 20-30 mins at a stand. IF they do not show up within 20-30 mins of calling they are not coming.

If you are in texas call at night with the cover of darkness and you will have a lot more leeway.

Bobcats are like house cats they get distracted easily it can take them much longer to find their way to a call than foxes or coyotes
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/25/17 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie

Bobcats are like house cats they get distracted easily it can take them much longer to find their way to a call than foxes or coyotes

I agree that they can take a lot longer to present a shot, but you should at least see eye shine within 20 -30 mins of calling.. then he may stay hidden, or work different angles to figure out what is going on.. But should atleast present himself in some form within the first 20-30 mins.

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/26/17 12:22 AM

Thank you all for the information.....but the original question is still unanswered.

Camo under a tree? or pop up blind? I would prefer the popup but Will a newly placed popup scare off the cat?

Basically what it boils down to is am i going to camo out and hunt myself, or pop up it and let my son come along
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/27/17 05:56 PM

Got 2 just sitting on the ground wearing a leaf suit and face mask.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/27/17 08:21 PM

Camo under a tree.

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/29/17 10:08 PM

Thanks guys!
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/30/17 09:47 PM

I shot my first Bobcat earlier this year, about 10AM sitting almost in the dead open on top of a small levee behind a small bush watching a corn feeder for hogs. I still can't believe he never moved while my buddy and I decided who was going to try and shoot, he watched us the entire time. I had to pickup my rifle and turn about 90 degrees to take the shot at about 35-40 yds. Curiosity definitely killed the cat! Pop-up sure doesn't seem to be needed, though I'd still pay attention to the wind.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 07/31/17 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
I shot my first Bobcat earlier this year, about 10AM sitting almost in the dead open on top of a small levee behind a small bush watching a corn feeder for hogs. I still can't believe he never moved while my buddy and I decided who was going to try and shoot, he watched us the entire time. I had to pickup my rifle and turn about 90 degrees to take the shot at about 35-40 yds. Curiosity definitely killed the cat! Pop-up sure doesn't seem to be needed, though I'd still pay attention to the wind.
the old saying, curiosity killed the cat, really is true.
Posted By: Deerslayer94

Re: Bobcat hunting? - 09/01/17 06:06 AM

They'll come in really slow, so just be patient
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum