Texas Hunting Forum

7 More Down!

Posted By: Txhunter65

7 More Down! - 06/03/17 08:01 PM

That makes 32 since the end of February or so. Just wonder if I'm even making a dent in the population.

Posted By: oaktreeplanter

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/03/17 11:09 PM

They love that corn. aim

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/04/17 01:21 AM

Yeah started putting corn in the dog proof trap and tuna or sardines just outside the trap to draw them to it. Was putting the fish in the traps but it was a little messy this seems to work just as good.
Posted By: mikei

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/04/17 01:00 PM

You've put a tiny dent in the population, but I assure you that you won't get 'em all unless you devote full time to the task for years! The last couple of mild, wet winters has caused a population explosion like I've never seen in the last 20 or so years. Keep after 'em!!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/04/17 10:03 PM

I wish I could run some of my dukes on Ft Hood bc I have a ton of coons hitting my feeders. Could prob get 5-10 a night easily.

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/04/17 10:28 PM

I've run them three weekends in the last 3 months or so and got 16, 9, and 10. Maybe it will save a few turkeys or quail.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/04/17 11:59 PM

The sardines and tuna are more of a warm and fuzzy thing for the trapper than an attractant for the coon. The coons are already attracted to the feeder for corn, so bait with corn. It is cheaper, and right there in the feeder to bait the traps. No mess and no extra ant problem.
We got a 200 acre place 7 years ago. the first year we caught/hunted about 200 coons, the next about 100, then 50... We get a coon every couple of weeks now. It took a long time and persistence to get ahead of them, and we only used corn.
I have joked in the past that I bet if a sardine or marshmallow plant was to have a coon problem they would probably bait their traps corn.
Good job up and good luck.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/05/17 12:08 AM

We had a feeder this past winter that for some reason the deer quit coming too (cows may have been a nuisance). The corn had piled up about 2" deep under it. We caught a coon every night wanting to reach in and get something out of the DP trap when there was 100 pounds of corn on the ground. Curiosity I guess.
Posted By: sundownbrown

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/14/17 12:07 PM

I hate raccoon. Good job
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/15/17 08:34 AM

up
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/18/17 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I wish I could run some of my dukes on Ft Hood bc I have a ton of coons hitting my feeders. Could prob get 5-10 a night easily.

Is that because of Army restrictions ?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: 7 More Down! - 06/18/17 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Is that because of Army restrictions ?
found out you can trap but have to have a license and tags and blah blah blah plus only live traps no type of food holds Ft Hood has a lot of crazy regulations and rules.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum