Texas Hunting Forum

2017 coon count

Posted By: SapperTitan

2017 coon count - 01/08/17 06:30 PM

Maybe we can get the MODs to make this a sticky.

I've killed 9 so far in 2017 here are a few pics.

Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: 2017 coon count - 01/08/17 07:31 PM

2nd from left looks like a big boar...

Re: 2017 coon count - 01/08/17 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal
2nd from left looks like a big boar...
Yep actually the 2 on the left are both pretty descent sized boars.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: 2017 coon count - 01/08/17 08:11 PM

They are fun to hunt with thermals right now. No leaves, they stick out like sore thumb!
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: 2017 coon count - 01/09/17 05:01 PM

I gotta do something about the coons on my place. Never trapped. Are these the snare type traps that they stick their paw in and get hung up?

Re: 2017 coon count - 01/09/17 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
I gotta do something about the coons on my place. Never trapped. Are these the snare type traps that they stick their paw in and get hung up?
Its a tube with a small lever in it. You bait it and they stick their paws in the tube and grab that lever and it sets the trap off. Literally takes no skill just set the traps and secure the cables and check the next day. I use dry cat for and a little fish oil. There are multiple brands but I use Dukes dog proof traps.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: 2017 coon count - 01/10/17 11:48 AM

Thanks

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/01/17 07:40 PM

Number 10 this yr
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/02/17 04:39 PM

You caught a foot also. Not sure if it counts as a whole. 0.2 maybe?

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/02/17 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
You caught a foot also. Not sure if it counts as a whole. 0.2 maybe?
.25 since I got 1 of 4 feet roflmao
Posted By: huntwest

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/03/17 01:37 PM

Just ordered 6 Dukes. My first ones can't wait to start catching them chicken killers!

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/04/17 03:28 PM

Another one that makes 11

Posted By: Michael W.

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/04/17 07:40 PM

That look says it all. Ooops, I messed up.
Posted By: Microsktr

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/05/17 12:08 AM

I've done pretty good so far this year in the war on raccoons. This is raccoon #6 for the year, fresh from this morning. A young boar, he was plenty pissed when I walked up on him too (he kept trying to attack my pet cats who had tagged along with me for the trap check, until I gave him .22 reasons why that was a bad idea).

Of course, I'd probably hate to see his Daddy, who I'm pretty sure is who did this number to my Pied Piper trap a couple of weeks ago. He's "the one who got away", and would have been raccoon #7, had he not escaped during the night.

Because of my live trap getting ruined (I eventually got it replaced free of charge), I ended up getting a couple of Z-Traps from the local feed store, and now I much prefer them to the live traps these days.

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/05/17 12:29 AM

These traps are not true snare traps, but rather are classified as "dog-proof" traps, as a dog is not able to stick its paw down into the bait that is placed inside the tube. Because I live in what is technically a subdivision, we have pet dogs running all over the place from the neighbors' houses, so I can't afford to use a traditional spring trap and risk potentially catching one of the neighbor's dogs. That leaves either using live traps or the "dog-proof" traps. After a large raccoon ruined my live trap (see my post below), I declared my revenge on the raccoons, and bought a couple of the "dog-proof" traps, along with some lengths of chain to secure them to trees. I used cat food to fill the bottom of the trap, and sprinkled a little vanilla extract in the tube to get their attention with smell. Boy, did they work! The first 3 nights I used these traps I caught 3 raccoons, and now the only time I use the live traps is if I need to catch something else, like a fox, possum, etc. The spring on these traps is very strong, so you will need to buy a setting tool, but they are relatively cheap. There are two major manufacturers of "dog-proof" traps: Duke traps and Z-Traps. Either one is good and will do the job. I just happened to buy the Z-Traps because that is what the feed store had in stock. However, it's by far the best $15 I have ever spent to catch raccoons.

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/05/17 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Microsktr
These traps are not true snare traps, but rather are classified as "dog-proof" traps, as a dog is not able to stick its paw down into the bait that is placed inside the tube. Because I live in what is technically a subdivision, we have pet dogs running all over the place from the neighbors' houses, so I can't afford to use a traditional spring trap and risk potentially catching one of the neighbor's dogs. That leaves either using live traps or the "dog-proof" traps. After a large raccoon ruined my live trap (see my post below), I declared my revenge on the raccoons, and bought a couple of the "dog-proof" traps, along with some lengths of chain to secure them to trees. I used cat food to fill the bottom of the trap, and sprinkled a little vanilla extract in the tube to get their attention with smell. Boy, did they work! The first 3 nights I used these traps I caught 3 raccoons, and now the only time I use the live traps is if I need to catch something else, like a fox, possum, etc. The spring on these traps is very strong, so you will need to buy a setting tool, but they are relatively cheap. There are two major manufacturers of "dog-proof" traps: Duke traps and Z-Traps. Either one is good and will do the job. I just happened to buy the Z-Traps because that is what the feed store had in stock. However, it's by far the best $15 I have ever spent to catch raccoons.
I own about 15 dukes use them daily and set by hand no tool needed it's pretty easy.

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/05/17 04:53 PM

Checked the traps right before I left for church this morning, and lo and behold, I snagged raccoon #7, another young boar (sorry for the sideways orientation on the photo, that's just how they download from my iPhone):

After taking the photo, I thought of a good caption: "Up a tree and out of luck!".
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/06/17 07:43 PM

Had 6 in my traps this weekend. That'd be what, about 24 for the post.

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/06/17 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BOLT GUY
Had 6 in my traps this weekend. That'd be what, about 24 for the post.
yep I believe so

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/10/17 12:40 AM

Got a big coon last night that makes 25
Posted By: a74aggie

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/13/17 01:18 AM

You guys are having way too much fun. I haven't seen a coon on my place yet.
My chickens are coming the end of this month, so what do you want to bet that changes....
Guess I better buy the traps and be prepared. grin

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/16/17 01:24 AM

I hit a bit of a dry spell due to the warm weather the past two weeks, but since the cold front came through on Valentine's Day, the raccoons got busy again, and I caught Raccoon #8 early this morning. Guess this young boar was looking for love in all the wrong places.

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/18/17 04:24 PM

Got lucky twice last night...not only caught Raccoon #9 (another young boar), I also caught a ringtail, which was pretty cool and unexpected. See my "Magic Bait Formula" message thread on the Varmits category for pictures.

Re: 2017 coon count - 02/18/17 04:28 PM

Got another last night

Re: 2017 coon count - 03/05/17 03:42 PM

It poured rain all day yesterday, but ended up being a blessing in disguise for trapping raccoons. Scored a doubleheader last night, catching Raccoons #10 & #11.

A sow,

And a boar.

I went out to the blind last night to see if I could get either the skunk or the hog that's been hanging around the back side of my property for the past couple of weeks. The rain was just letting up, and it was nice and cool, perfect for varmit hunting. Neither the skunk nor the hog came out, but about 30 min. after sunset I did happen to spy a raccoon walking by. I shot him with my crossbow using one of my recycled Spitfire broadheads. He let out an angry growl and went stumbling off down the hill into the brush. I was able to recover my crossbow bolt, and there was blood streaks on the fletching, so I know for a fact the bolt passed through the raccoon. I also found two drops of blood further down the hill, but the ground was soaking wet, and it was really hard to see any trail. Once I dispatched the boar and sow this morning, I went back and tried to find the other raccoon, but it was nowhere to be found. Could have potentially been a triple raccoon score for the night, but without a carcass, I'll just have to chalk it up as a double.

Re: 2017 coon count - 03/06/17 05:37 PM

Wow, the rain really brought all the raccoons out of hiding...this is Raccoon #12 for me now (this large sow got caught earlier this morning).

Re: 2017 coon count - 03/11/17 02:33 AM

Raccoon #13 wasn't so lucky this morning...got both paws caught in the trap!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum