Texas Hunting Forum

Beavers Down

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Beavers Down - 12/21/16 04:44 AM

My folks have about 23 acres and a little spring fed stream. The first beavers appeared nearly 20 years ago and the folks didn't mind the few trees they cut down as the creek was overgrown. Then the beavers started moving inland and taking the fruit trees pop had planted. They were grabbing these more than 100 yards from the creek. Over the years, the folks have tried various trappers and such and then I got involved with trying to trap the beavers. That worked pretty well, but I had some unfortunate by-catch. So I took to shooting them and I find it much more enjoyable and sometimes more efficient.

Well the beavers are back and had built a fairly large dam for the tiny creek. It was mostly a mud dam and there wasn't any immediate sign of the beavers taking trees, though I have no doubt trees are missing. Here is a video of my efforts to get rid of the beavers...
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Beavers Down - 12/21/16 06:14 AM

Congrats on a couple fine kills. I have killed quite a few that way, damage the dam and shoot them when they come in to repair them. For the bullet skipping off the water if you can get to where you are shooting down at a good angle it will shooting them while swimming and not have to wait until the get out of the water.

Looks like Roe will need to add another critter to the Grendel kills sheet on the other site
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Beavers Down - 12/21/16 03:17 PM

Good job. We have to use chainsaws or tannerite to damage dams up here. Moyle Mink and Tannery will tan those trapper dried hides for less than $30 each.Our beaver work will start in Feb. and March, weather permitting.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Beavers Down - 12/28/16 02:24 AM

Never get tired of watching your videos, bene factum.

Re: Beavers Down - 12/28/16 12:36 PM

Thanks glocker17!

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Congrats on a couple fine kills. I have killed quite a few that way, damage the dam and shoot them when they come in to repair them.

Yeah, damaging the dam seems to be the most promising way to get the beavers to a specific location multiple times soonest, or at least soonest that evening. I wish I had something that worked that well for hogs!
Posted By: Honker Jake

Re: Beavers Down - 12/31/16 02:11 AM

Going to try to kill one this weekend on a pond that is used for training dogs. Have traps set but no cigar. Any specific tie of day to sit and wait? Or can I just sit and wait any time of the day to catch one swimming?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Beavers Down - 01/02/17 05:53 PM

That's awesome Brian! Unique way to get your prey to a specific site and minimal work involved. Will keep that in mind if I ever come across beaver issues!
Posted By: huntinfish

Re: Beavers Down - 01/05/17 08:34 PM

great video
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Beavers Down - 01/05/17 09:59 PM

Nice video as always.

I can see myself shooting Tannerite. Would take care of the damn and beaver at the same time.

Re: Beavers Down - 01/06/17 03:07 AM

Yeah, Texas frowns on using explosives on wildlife such as beavers. People may blow up hogs (exotics) and that is legal, but it doesn't extend to native animals.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_w7000_0065.pdf
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Beavers Down - 01/06/17 12:23 PM

Good hunt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum