Texas Hunting Forum

Coyotes.....help me decide?

Posted By: flintknapper

Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 02:11 AM

Been deer hunting all last week, haven't yet seen a buck I wanted to shoot (yes I'm picky).

But every single time I've been out....I have had one or more Coyotes pass within 100 yds. of my stand (most about 75 yds. out).

This week I am going to take a second rifle with me to dispatch a few of them. I don't want to use my 7mm-08 (what I've been deer hunting with) because I just don't want to burn up my handloads on a Coyote.

So I am thinking about taking either my .17 HRM or my .458 SOCOM.

I haven't shot a coyote (yet) with the .17 HMR because I can't help but think it would be marginal in performance? Maybe I'm wrong?

I have shot Coyotes with the SOCOM using a 100 grain Lehigh bullet. It works really well BUT is incredibly loud.

What say you guys? Those two choices only...!

Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 02:49 AM

Go big or go home.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
I don't want to use my 7mm-08 (what I've been deer hunting with) because I just don't want to burn up my handloads on a Coyote.

I cannot understand this statement.
Posted By: WBT

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 03:29 AM

I'd definitely use the 458
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 03:35 AM

I like the .17 but make the shot count!
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I don't want to use my 7mm-08 (what I've been deer hunting with) because I just don't want to burn up my handloads on a Coyote.

I'm having difficulties as well. 7mm-08 is excellent coyote medicine.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 03:49 AM

Surely it's cheaper to shoot the 7mm08 over the 458. Plus why drag extra equipment along? If you had to, they are both loud. The 17hmr best case it hits it runs off 100 yards and dies there. I'd imagine a dead yote would probably ruin the hunt.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 03:49 AM

What? You have only three handloads? confused2 grin
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 03:51 AM

I dropped a yote on a food plot two years ago. A half hour later two does came out, sniffed the yote laying there on the plot, then headed to the feeder. Deer do funny things.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 03:56 AM

Maybe he doesn't enjoy handloading.

If that's the case, shoot em in the head with the .17

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 04:44 AM

Why?

I don't want to use a limited supply of my handloads on a Coyote. When I have time, I will load some more. I have tons of .17 HMR and plenty of 458, the question is simple, is the .17 enough to make a good ethical kill or should I go with the SOCOM.

It's not a question involving taking another rifle, that's easy to do, its not about whether or not the 7mm-08 is a good Coyote killer (it is...used it many times) but I don't want to use it right now. I have about 20 of my handloads left, they have been carefully crafted for accuracy and I don't want to waste them on Coyotes.

So, I've simply chosen to take another rifle in either of two calibers. I get conflicting reports on the effectiveness of the .17 on animals as large as Coyotes. I haven't shot anything larger than Raccoons and a bobcat with mine.

The SOCOM will definitely put Coyotes down and I have a lot of 100 grain ammo I need to burn up, but it is loud. The Coyotes will be targets of opportunity while I am out Deer Hunting. We just have way too many of them. I've been letting them pass by...not wanting to disturb my hunting area with a lot of noise, but they are coming through much too often.

Anyway, I am going to use one or the other, so I am soliciting any experience others might have with respect to the .17

I have my doubts about it.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 12:43 PM

confused2 Whichever gun you take with you will be fine. If you have enough room in your blind, take all of them. Then depending on the shot, grab the gun that fits and hammer a coyote. Either way you will be enjoying the time in the woods. Or, just get a box of 7mm-08 ammo and keep it with you for coyotes and just have the 1 gun with you. Not sure how long it would take you to put one in the pipe, but it's just a thought..... 2cents
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 01:02 PM

Shoot 'em with the .17 and let them run wherever they choose to die. The farther away from your setup the better.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 01:13 PM

.......the question is simple, is the .17 enough to make a good ethical kill.

Answer is simple .....NO.
And your doubts are correct.

We're handicapped to rimfire for much of our season here. I can tell you from experience that it is NOT a good choice. We sold our 17s and are hunting with the 22WMR. Way too many shake the 17 off and run for the hills.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 01:15 PM

I'd lean towards the .17. Pop a pasture pup, let it run off with a mortal wound and keep on hunting deer.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 01:23 PM

Why?

I don't want to use a limited supply of my handloads on a Coyote. When I have time, I will load some more. I have tons of .17 HMR and plenty of 458, the question is simple, is the .17 enough to make a good ethical kill or should I go with the SOCOM.

It's not a question involving taking another rifle, that's easy to do, its not about whether or not the 7mm-08 is a good Coyote killer (it is...used it many times) but I don't want to use it right now. I have about 20 of my handloads left, they have been carefully crafted for accuracy and I don't want to waste them on Coyotes.

So, I've simply chosen to take another rifle in either of two calibers. I get conflicting reports on the effectiveness of the .17 on animals as large as Coyotes. I haven't shot anything larger than Raccoons and a bobcat with mine.

The SOCOM will definitely put Coyotes down and I have a lot of 100 grain ammo I need to burn up, but it is loud. The Coyotes will be targets of opportunity while I am out Deer Hunting. We just have way too many of them. I've been letting them pass by...not wanting to disturb my hunting area with a lot of noise, but they are coming through much too often.

Anyway, I am going to use one or the other, so I am soliciting any experience others might have with respect to the .17

wth, you are only gong to get one shot (most likely) use the 7-08
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 02:19 PM

Why?

Because it is a fine cartridge, that'll kill just about anything, and you're already carrying it. I know the work that goes into making good ammo, but there is no pixie dust involved. You've got 20 rounds loaded, and 5 deer tags. Don't let a coyote walk, ever.

Your 17 ain't enough, and your 458 is too loud and too expensive. Make some more 7-08 ammo if it makes you feel better.

Look into getting a suppressor, it is a game changer.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 02:38 PM

From a stand with a rest, I would think a 17 would be plenty with a well placed shot. I agree with the others though, I would use the 7mm08.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 03:39 PM

I put coyotes down with my 17 hmr all the time. Just keep the shots under 75 yards. Then if one gets out past 75 yards put it down with the 7mm-08.

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 05:43 PM

Tough crowd.

I don't know how to be more clear (I'm not going to use the 7mm-08 right now). I've been explicit about that, yet continue to get "use the 7mm-08". rolleyes

I KNOW its a great cartridge, that's why I have one. The 'cost' of using the 458 is not even a consideration for me, I'm NOT trying to save money. I don't have any more of the bullet I prefer to load for the 7mm-08 on hand, so until I get some ordered and find the time to load some more..its not an option I want to use.

If it were...I would have titled the thread 'Which is best...7mm-08, 458 SOCOM or .17 HMR). wink

Thanks to those who responded without going off on a tangent.

I'll just take the SOCOM along with me. I know folks have killed Coyotes with the .17....but I'm still not sure I am comfortable with that.

And don't worry folks....I'll get around to loading up some more 7mm-08. I've been handloading for 45 years and to answer one persons question (no I don't really enjoy it anymore). I have a Dillon 550 for pistol ammo and rifle ammo that doesn't need to be all that accurate, but I am very picky about what I shoot through the 08, so that ammo is time consuming and done on my single press.

In any case, some Yotes are going down. I have video of three that passed by camera last night.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 07:20 PM

You know what happens when you ask peoples opinions... you get THEIR opinion, it doesn't always equate to what you wanted to hear.

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
You know what happens when you ask peoples opinions... you get THEIR opinion, it doesn't always equate to what you wanted to hear.

So true. Including lots of 'extras'. Free of charge at least. grin
Posted By: TKM

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 07:43 PM

I shoot three 17's, 17HMR, 17WSM and a 17 Fireball. 100 yards and under I wouldn't hesitate to use the 17HMR, if ............ it wasn't a running shot. However, my preferred yote gun is a 204 with 32 gr V-MAX. Anytime I am hunting in muzzle loader or rifle season I always carry two guns unless I am in one of my ladder stands that is difficult to get into or I am hunting with my 243. For me ammo cost is insignificant in the decision. Really, if you are concerned about making an ethical shot it should be about which one you shoot better. A bad shot with the 458 isn't a for sure kill. This gets beat to death on here but is the golden rule, shoot what you are comfortable with and have practiced with at what range you think you may be taking a shot at.

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TKM
I shoot three 17's, 17HMR, 17WSM and a 17 Fireball. 100 yards and under I wouldn't hesitate to use the 17HMR, if ............ it wasn't a running shot. However, my preferred yote gun is a 204 with 32 gr V-MAX. Anytime I am hunting in muzzle loader or rifle season I always carry two guns unless I am in one of my ladder stands that is difficult to get into or I am hunting with my 243. For me ammo cost is insignificant in the decision. Really, if you are concerned about making an ethical shot it should be about which one you shoot better. A bad shot with the 458 isn't a for sure kill. This gets beat to death on here but is the golden rule, shoot what you are comfortable with and have practiced with at what range you think you may be taking a shot at.

With the 17 HMR would you shoot heart/lung area or try for a CNS shot (Neck/Head)? Our Coyotes are pretty good sized animals, much larger than those I see in Central Texas or South Texas.

I'm not opposed to giving it a try....maybe I underestimate the 17, but I've had a few solidly hit raccoons crawl off 25 yds. or so before expiring.

What would your recommendation for a bullet be? I have CCI 'tnt' (very frangible), CCI 'gamepoint' (controlled expansion supposedly) CCI A-17 and Hornady Vmax.

Shots will almost certainly be 75 yards, but could go out to 100 yds. No moving shots, I can whistle them to a stop.

Shots would be from a box stand with a good solid ledge for a rest. Shot 'placement' could be just about anything we wanted.

Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 08:47 PM

Knapper, you'll have to try it for yourself before you become a believer. wink

Trust me ....... I've had 2 fall within sight, and 6 (maybe 7, not sure on the count) run off into another county never to be seen again. ALL were hit well in the heart area and should have fallen and were at 25 yards or less. Either my son or myself saw all of the hits. We were shooting VMaxs, so there might be a possibility that they splashed. Can't say for certain though. Personally, I refuse to settle for anything that might be iffy and inhumane to any animal. Even the lowly coyote. Our coyotes here are usually in the 50-60 pound range, fwiw.

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 08:50 PM

Here is why I have reservations about the 17 HMR. In our area of Deep East Texas...healthy mature Coyotes can go 45-50 lbs. (some more than that).

If my Daughter were here, I'd just have her take care of the problem, its Her Deer Stand they are around right now, but She is out 'travel nursing' right now....so I need to take care of the Coyotes before She comes home for Thanksgiving.

This pretty much represents what we have for 'Yotes'.

Posted By: TKM

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 08:55 PM

Nice looking setup you have there, I shoot a heavy barrel as well. If you can get them to stop anything you mentioned you have in the head/neck area would do. My personal preference of the three would be the GamePoint in the head. You will hear some say that is marginal on a coyote then turn around and hear others brag about taking out a 200lb boar hog with the same ammo to the head, go figure. This is all just my personal preference and have no data from NASA to back it up, just dead critters.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/15/16 09:48 PM

Here is why I have reservations about the 17 HMR. In our area of Deep East Texas...healthy mature Coyotes can go 45-50 lbs. (some more than that).

If my Daughter were here, I'd just have her take care of the problem, its Her Deer Stand they are around right now, but She is out 'travel nursing' right now....so I need to take care of the Coyotes before She comes home for Thanksgiving.

This pretty much represents what we have for 'Yotes'.

nice looking all the way around, awesome coyotes
Posted By: HandyMan91

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/16/16 05:19 PM

socom. because America.
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/16/16 05:39 PM

17 to the brain
Posted By: chalet

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/16/16 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Bucks and Ducks
17 to the brain

When deer hunting I'd shoot the 17 as it is quieter - chest, head, whatever as long as it runs off and dies. I use to let them go but over last couple years seems like the coyotes are more agressive. The 2nd time one showed up and ran deer off my feeder I started shooting them. Sometimes the deer hardly notice, little jump at the shot and they go back to eating.
Posted By: bfrog5

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/19/16 09:35 AM

are you intending on keeping hide? if so 17 if you can make accurate shot count
Posted By: djs303

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/23/16 06:53 PM

Out to 100 yards the .17 hmr v-max bullets will kill them pretty quick even through the chest. I have shot numerous coyotes with mine within this range and all were recovered either at the spot of the shot or within 10 yards. I don't shoot for shoulder because of the explosive nature of the bullet, Either head or behind the shoulder. It is surprising how devastating that little bullet is. The farthest I have shot an animal was 108 yards on a 150 lb hog (head shot) and it caused the eyes to bulge out.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/23/16 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: djs303
It is surprising how devastating that little bullet is.

Yep. Been shooting pigs/yotes/feral dogs with it for years, most shots have been within 75-100 yrds and shoot head/neck only. Nasty little bullet. Longest shot to date was on a 70 or so pound feral pit bull that was chasing deer. 17 HMR to the head at a little over 150 yrds, hit the dirt and stiff legged. Several of us that hunt on our place take two rifles to the blind. A 17 HMR for medium to small sized pigs/yotes/bobcats/feral dogs, and a deer rifle.

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/24/16 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Originally Posted By: djs303
It is surprising how devastating that little bullet is.

Yep. Been shooting pigs/yotes/feral dogs with it for years, most shots have been within 75-100 yrds and shoot head/neck only. Nasty little bullet. Longest shot to date was on a 70 or so pound feral pit bull that was chasing deer. 17 HMR to the head at a little over 150 yrds, hit the dirt and stiff legged. Several of us that hunt on our place take two rifles to the blind. A 17 HMR for medium to small sized pigs/yotes/bobcats/feral dogs, and a deer rifle.

I might try it then. Its no trouble to take two rifles, I can drive right up to this stand if need be (though I don't) and there is plenty of room inside of it.

I DID get some more bullets to load for my 7mm-08 (for those who were worried about that). wink

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/24/16 01:51 PM

up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/25/16 02:44 AM

up
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/25/16 03:02 AM

Beautiful daughter you have there, and I see you've raised her right! I've never owned a .17, but with my experience with the vmax bullets, I would not hesitate to take a coyote with the .17 AND VMAX. If you do take the .17, please report back as to the performance. I'd be interested to know.
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/25/16 02:01 PM

My question is...have you killed a coyote yet?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/25/16 02:41 PM

Are you sure those aren't red wolves........ popcorn
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 11/25/16 07:52 PM

I see why you don't want to waste the handloads on a worthless coyote. The 17 should at least make sure he stays away. The suggestion to use a box of cheap ammo in the 7-08 would be my choice instead of carrying another rifle.
Now that the bounty is gone and fur is worthless the population has exploded. I consider it my obligation to help fellow pet owners and part one by any means available.

Re: Coyotes.....help me decide? - 12/22/16 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal
My question is...have you killed a coyote yet?

Affirmative. up

This mornings 'Yote' makes number three since we last had this conversation.

All with the 7mm-08 and my handloads (for those keeping track).

This one I saw coming my way from on my neighbors property. I was actually deer hunting, but it was early...so I figured the sound of a shot wouldn't do any harm and things would settle back down leaving me plenty of time to hunt deer.

So I got my rifle up and ready...waiting for him to cross the fence-line onto our property. He popped out on the old logging road about 100 yds. out. Stood there for a second then started moving again, so I whistled him down and took the shot.

Average sized Male for around here.

One thing I didn't notice about him until I went to move him off the road was a neck wound from a snare? It was a dark circle of necrotic tissue where a snare (or something) had been around his neck and dug into the flesh. Somehow he managed to get out of it and was in fine physical condition other than that.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum