Texas Hunting Forum

first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies?

Posted By: HandyMan91

first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/13/16 01:31 AM

I have hunted squirrel off and on over the years but always as more of a varmitting or keeping tails scenario. this year I decided I'm going to eat my kills. got this guy this morning, hit him under the chin and out through the ear. using old faithful for this one, a savage single shot knob cocking 22. so I skinned her down by the creek, took my tail, and now shes in the fridge soaking in a cider vinegar/water mix. cooking tomorrow. any one have a good recepie? so far ive heard multiple say to cut chunks, batter, and deep fry. any other suggestions?

Posted By: 603Country

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/13/16 01:53 AM

My wife, when she'll cook a squirrel for me, uses a recipe she got off the Internet.

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/13/16 02:00 AM

well this is the internet. id rather have the pro's tell me how then ask google lol. already asked the wife, she about came unglued when threw that squirrel on the counter this morning lol
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/13/16 03:04 AM

soak in buttermilk overnight then dip in batter of egg, milk and flour. salt and pepper to taste fry it up.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/13/16 03:09 AM

Guess I wasn't much help, but the wife was not going to look up her recipe just because I asked. Her recipe is squirrel and dumplings.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/13/16 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
soak in buttermilk overnight then dip in batter of egg, milk and flour. salt and pepper to taste fry it up.

This is a great way to do it. I would perforate the meat before soaking it in the buttermilk. The acid from the buttermilk tenderizes it really nice if you can get it in there.

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/13/16 06:07 PM

already soaked in cider vinegar overnight. have used that for chicken and such, draws the blood out of the meat and softens up, think is a 5% acid just like regular vinegar. didn't think of perforating it though, that's a good tip. going to do the batter and deep fry. never have buttermilk around the house, may have to start stocking it.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/13/16 06:17 PM

Fried squirrel, going to be great.
Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/13/16 10:27 PM

squirrel and dumplings
Way better than fried

Might need a couple more though
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/14/16 02:20 AM

I've cooked squirrel a few ways. Personally, I don't like the vinegar soak.

my favorite way to prepare is to just sprinkle some salt on it, put it in a ziplock over night, then rinse it when you are ready to cook.

Pat it dry with paper towels and season. Get a cast iron skillet really hot and sear it, then add whatever broth or veggies you want and put it in the over at 350 to roast for 30 mins to 1 hour.

Great Shot!
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/14/16 05:48 PM

Cut into quarter put it in the crock pot with some chicken broth. let it slow cook for a few hours. pull out the bones add fresh vegetables slow cook till veggies are tender serve over rice.

Re: first sqirrel for food/cooking. recepies? - 11/16/16 03:48 AM

well I loved it fried, personally I like vinegar. but I'm going to give butter milk soak a try next time. I just did a simple batter with some salt and pepper. the plate was gone in no time, my 5yo son even ate some. though to be honest he thought it was chicken nuggets. now I'm craving it, cant wait to get out for more.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum