Texas Hunting Forum

This may sound dumb but

Posted By: SapperTitan

This may sound dumb but - 08/11/16 02:08 AM

Do you think you could condition coyotes to come to a feeder throwing dry dog food like we do deer with corn? I just had this random though and wandered what others thought.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/11/16 02:21 AM

Don't think dry dog food would attract them much. Maybe some raw meat
Or wet cat food with some good smell, or wet dog food could work. Don't know that coyotes can be patterned that well, although the smart ones would distinguish themselves from the stupid ones pretty quickly.

People that do gut piles would be able
To answer this as well as anyone.
Posted By: rickym

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/11/16 02:23 AM

A continuous supply of fresh hogs/hog guts rabbits and mice will keep em comin back

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/11/16 02:43 AM

I'm not interested in hunting them this way just had the thought and wondered what others thought.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/11/16 04:08 AM

Coyotes? Doubt it. A gang of racoons, armadillos, opossums, and rats....absolutely

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/11/16 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Coyotes? Doubt it. A gang of racoons, armadillos, opossums, and rats....absolutely
That would still be fun to rifle
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/11/16 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Do you think you could condition coyotes to come to a feeder throwing dry dog food like we do deer with corn? I just had this random though and wandered what others thought.

there are no dumb ?'s only dumb answers
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/11/16 11:56 PM

If theyre hungry theyll eat it, and will be back for more. I have them on game cams eating corn.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/12/16 01:20 PM

I think you would have the biggest gang of coons ever witnessed on game camera. Either way you should try it and text me the pics.

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/12/16 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
I think you would have the biggest gang of coons ever witnessed on game camera. Either way you should try it and text me the pics.
Haha. Id be happy with a coon slaughter.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/13/16 03:19 AM

Not likely to attract Coyotes, but you'll have Coons out the wazoo!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/13/16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Would a feeder slinging dead racoons, armadillos, opossums, and rats bring coyotes? Kinda' brings to mind the "Bassomatic."
Posted By: DoubleUp

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/14/16 09:59 PM

I haven't tried baiting them with a deer feeder using dry dog food, but they will eat dry dog food. So, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Here is a picture from some years back of 4 coyotes eating dry dog food from a pan just like dogs. They actually got started eating those pears you can see on the ground, but didn't hesitate to jump on the dog food right out of a pan. I even have pictures of them pulling pears off the tree. Remember a coyote has an incredible nose and will eat most anything to survive.

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/14/16 11:22 PM

That's wild
Posted By: breadman

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/15/16 02:14 AM

i`ve watched them dig up peanuts in south texas and eat them .
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/16/16 01:45 AM

On a youth deer hunt with my son, I baited the area with peanut butter hoping to at least bring in a hog. A coyote came in and ate every bit of the peanut butter right in front of us. We weren't allowed to shoot coyotes on that hunt so we just did everything we could to scare it away without making too much noise. He saw us but wouldn't leave until it was all gone. As it finally left, his tongue was flicking in and out and in and out. I'll bet he went looking for a glass of milk.

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/16/16 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
On a youth deer hunt with my son, I baited the area with peanut butter hoping to at least bring in a hog. A coyote came in and ate every bit of the peanut butter right in front of us. We weren't allowed to shoot coyotes on that hunt so we just did everything we could to scare it away without making too much noise. He saw us but wouldn't leave until it was all gone. As it finally left, his tongue was flicking in and out and in and out. I'll bet he went looking for a glass of milk.
Thats hilarious
Posted By: 240z

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/18/16 11:34 PM

Coyotes are opportunist, I live in the country and sometimes rather than put table scraps down the disposal
(Septic tank) I will throw them out behind my shop.
Every few months I will set a jump trap, and have caught several.
Yes, they will pattern.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/19/16 12:12 AM

Living in Navy housing in central California my daughter had two cats. One morning I could not locate one shortly before going on a weekend trip. When I got back still could not find it. That night I let the second out and it was lost. The next morning I went to my patio early and a damn coyote was there apparently waiting to get fed again. I did not have any more cats though.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/19/16 10:16 AM

coyotes love water melons
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: This may sound dumb but - 08/19/16 12:39 PM

My boss feeds Ol' Roy like a mofo. I mean every day of the year! He has yotes and coons nightly. Then has the nerve to gripe cause he had a mangy yote hanging around. Dumb butt. That's what you get! So to answer your question, yeah, I think you can. Of course you'll have coons, possums, skunks and what ever else that happens by and likes what they smell, lol.
Posted By: ktk120

Re: This may sound dumb but - 09/01/16 12:50 AM

neat pic
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: This may sound dumb but - 09/01/16 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: ktk120
neat pic
. up

Interesting thought Sapper
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum