Texas Hunting Forum

Bobcat PROBLEM!!!

Posted By: Upland007

Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 06/15/16 04:34 PM

We have 3 bobcats on our property that we get on the game camera, seem to run together at night. We have traps set with chicken scraps and other food scraps as well as tried calling them in over the past 3 weeks. We know they are still around but we cammot get them in sight just on camera... What cam we do to either trap one or get them to come to a call I use a foxpro call and am jot sure what call to even use for bobcats... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Posted By: rickym

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 06/15/16 04:52 PM

Put a couple live pigeons or chickens in a live cage trap.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 06/15/16 10:26 PM

I've had more bobcats come to a screaming jay than any other call. Good luck.
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 06/15/16 11:53 PM

Hunt at night. This time of year the grass and vegetation is so high you'll never see them during the day. Cant hide the eyes at night.
Posted By: lms

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 06/17/16 11:26 AM

Yup, live bait works, birds,rats, or rabbits.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 06/17/16 07:15 PM

Good set of dogs will take care of that problem as long as a bobcat stinks.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: N-Rut

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 06/17/16 08:28 PM

As usual, I agree with Gary. Dogs are the best solution. Try using a distressed woodpecker sound at night. Bobcats are fairly easy to call from a vehicle after dark. Stay on stand at least 40 minutes. They will travel further than you think. Good luck
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 07/06/16 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: PWRANCH
We have 3 bobcats on our property that we get on the game camera

If you didn't have the camera, do you think you would ever even know that they were there? What problems are they causing - goats and sheep? Just curious......
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 07/07/16 01:06 AM

Interesting. So a caller and a spot light? Or will a spot light run them off?
Posted By: Flags

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 07/07/16 01:29 PM

Just curious buy why are a couple of bobcat a "problem?" What "problem" are they causing by being there?
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 07/11/16 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
Good set of dogs will take care of that problem as long as a bobcat stinks.
Adios,
Gary

What's your opinion on minimum acreage to be able to run a bobcat?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 07/12/16 11:47 PM

One where your dog doesn't cross the property line.
Posted By: AddisonOil

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 07/19/16 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: PWRANCH
We have 3 bobcats on our property that we get on the game camera, seem to run together at night. We have traps set with chicken scraps and other food scraps as well as tried calling them in over the past 3 weeks. We know they are still around but we cammot get them in sight just on camera... What cam we do to either trap one or get them to come to a call I use a foxpro call and am jot sure what call to even use for bobcats... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Where's the ranch located? I'll come with my gear and let you shoot them.

Posted By: TPH

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 07/19/16 02:17 AM

If you want them gone. Find a reputable houndsman and turn him loose.
If your wanting to hunt them yourself. Education on the subject is first and foremost important. Cats have short attention spans. One minute they may be coming, the next chasing a grasshopper. Lots of sound is needed. Busy sounds. Woodpeckers, screaming rodents, baby rabbits. Don't be afraid to stay on stand for extended periods of time. I would definitely try them at night. Cats are very methodical hunters at times. Especially when food sources are plentiful. They will sit and watch for long periods of time in the shadows. Waiting. Try to set up near areas they are more likely to travel. Give them a easy, calming, route to your calls location. Make a predator comfortable in his aproach and you'll increase your odds. There's tons to being successful repeatedly.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Bobcat PROBLEM!!! - 07/19/16 10:58 PM

Hey if you catch one of them slippin you can keep the meat on those too. They're not as bitter as ring tailed cats. Maybe a little greasy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum