Texas Hunting Forum

Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun?

Posted By: FLParish

Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 01:56 PM

Hi Guys...

I need to find a good squirrel gun for my place. My .22 works great, as do my shotguns, but I think I need to get a good air gun due to my place becoming surrounded by development.

Any recommendations?

I have tried several air guns from Cabelas, but returned them all. These were in the $200-$250 price point, were break open barrels, single shot. What I didn't like about them were that the barrel took too much force to open and were single shot. My young son would not even begin to be able to use and reload these without my help.

My shooting area is on 10 acres, mostly pecan, oak, and walnut trees, old growth. Neighbors surround my property, although the trees help to break the trajectory of most bullets that would be shot (not towards any residential areas).

I need something that will drop these pests, give me the ability to have multiple shots relatively quickly, and not be so loud as to draw attention to our constant shooting.

Most shots will be within 25 yards, with an occasional 50 yard shot opportunity.

I'm tired of having 25 - 50 squirrels in my yard and pecan orchard every morning and late afternoon. My .22 just concerns me with so many homes being built in my area.

Thoughts? Recommendations??

thanks in advance.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 04:18 PM

here ya go (in .22 cal) - 25 shots between 'refilling' :
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Air_Rifle/1774/6466
or this one:[font:Arial Black][/font]
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Discovery_Rifle_Pump/1534

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 04:42 PM

Wow...they're proud of their air gun. That being said, thanks for that find. I'll definitely look into that one.
Posted By: Western

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 05:29 PM

Make sure and check the bargain cave at Cabelas too, been awhile for me, but last time they had around 50 in there at a decent discount.

Have you thought about a 22 short? still would travel further than a HP pellet though
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 05:54 PM

I know it is not in line with your post, but thought I'd offer this. I have been using the small live traps to control the squirrel population around my house. It's trapping while you're doing other stuff. I use the roasted shell on peanuts and have removed over 30 squirrels over the winter and spring. Way more than I thought were around. Had a few become somewhat trap savvy and just used a larger size(raccoon/possum size), that way they would have to enter the trap a little further to hit the plate and set if off.

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 06:04 PM

.22 short? I like the idea! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that.

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 06:05 PM

Oh.and thanks for the Cabela's lead. I'll check them, as well.

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 06:06 PM

Trapping. I hadn't thought of that, but I like the idea. What do I do after trapping them? Just shoot them in the trap? I'm not much into eating Summertime squirrels (parasites, etc)

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 07:06 PM

I'm in fairly close quarters with neighbors, but still kinda in the country. Shot some, but decided I'd spare my neighbors the noise. I now just take them about 5+ miles away and release them. I'm around a lake and drive them to the otherside. I have to say, that my neighbors have been using pellet rifles since before I moved in. They say trapping has been way more productive. Traps were purchased at tractor supply and I got one small trap and one large one for about $30.00, came as a pair. You could probably get them on amazon too. I would run at least two traps at a time to maximize, if that's the way you go.
FYI,
I put a couple of peanuts close to the trap entry and then about a handful at the back of the trap.

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 07:09 PM

Link to Trap 2 pack:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product...-2?cm_vc=-10005

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 07:09 PM

I like the idea, plus I get to save my lead. smile

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 07:23 PM

Good luck and have fun. Mine started when I saw the little SOB's on my roof, it was time to go to work on them.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 08:34 PM

If you are worried about noise, drop cage and all in a barrel full of water till the bubbles stop. Or tie a rope to it and toss in a lake or pond.

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 08:40 PM

I see you're a lifetime PETA member. wink

I almost spit out the soda I was drinking! Hah!!!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 09:08 PM

Ive caught a couple squirrels in the dukes dog proof coon traps with some corn in them.
Posted By: soonerdg

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 10:09 PM

get you some subsonic .22 ammo. The higher powered air guns really aren't any quieter.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/14/16 10:24 PM

.22CB short, if you can find them.
Posted By: texas2

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/16/16 11:10 AM

You might try these...

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=960
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/16/16 03:19 PM

I have caught 5 squirrels raiding my dog food in my garage in the last 10 days,, live traps, I also take them down the road and let them go ----------- when I shoot them in the yard, I live on 1 acre with neighbors, it has never been an issue with these bullets.

Posted By: dune2218

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/16/16 03:19 PM

lol everyone has the same solution !!!!
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 06/17/16 01:44 AM

Squirrel Pole snares.
Posted By: Beckett

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 07/05/16 03:23 AM

Duke Dog Proof traps; caught lots of squirrels in those. They seem to like fruit loops.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 07/05/16 07:11 PM

I have a friend who has an FX Royale 500 and he loves it. It is pricey but they are accurate and very quiet. I know he has killed smaller hogs from a bow stand with them before.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 07/05/16 07:20 PM

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=0039
Posted By: passthru

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 07/12/16 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Beckett
Duke Dog Proof traps; caught lots of squirrels in those. They seem to like fruit loops.

So do I. Guess I'd better be more careful. roflmao
Posted By: lms

Re: Squirrel gun recommendation - air gun? - 07/14/16 01:39 AM

Trapping is the way to go, live traps or 110 coni-bears at the front of a wood or metal box.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum