Texas Hunting Forum

Otter problem

Posted By: Aggieman775

Otter problem - 04/25/16 02:03 PM

I live on a lake and on our dock we have a big blue bucket in the water we put fish in until we clean them. Well we have an otter problem and they get in that bucket and eat them. We have put a lock on it but they still find a way in. We don't want to kill it so that's out of the picture. I don't know if it would fit in a coon trap but do y'all have any suggestions on how to catch it to relocate it or anything?
Posted By: Blackrain

Re: Otter problem - 04/25/16 03:16 PM

http://www.minntrapprod.com/Bridger-7-x-7-220-Bodygripper/productinfo/BR220-01/ or the 330. The website has instructions how to set them. Just put it on top of the bucket and block off the sides.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Otter problem - 04/25/16 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieman775
I live on a lake and on our dock we have a big blue bucket in the water we put fish in until we clean them. Well we have an otter problem and they get in that bucket and eat them. We have put a lock on it but they still find a way in. We don't want to kill it so that's out of the picture. I don't know if it would fit in a coon trap but do y'all have any suggestions on how to catch it to relocate it or anything?

FYI it is likely more than one. We have them on our ranch in East Texas and those things run in packs. Good luck on trapping them, the only way I got them to leave was shooting half the group.
Posted By: TEXASTRAPPER

Re: Otter problem - 04/26/16 11:18 PM

Well if you don't want to kill it like you stated in your original post then don't use a body gripper...

A very stout cage trap can be used to catch them. They are very strong and tear a cheap cage to pieces. Place the cage, preferably one that opens on both ends, on a well used trail. If you need to you can submerge slightly in water and use fish scraps as bait.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum