Texas Hunting Forum

200 Yard Coyote

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

200 Yard Coyote - 02/27/16 05:01 AM

Saw this guy come in before the video starts. I got the video going and turned on the caller. That is about the time the coyote turned around and headed the other way. Otherwise, wind was in my favor and he was a long way off. Either he just turned around, or he didn't like the caller. Don't know.

Caught this guy a bit low and he made it across the fence to the neighbor's place where I could not search for him. Help from my landowner (knows the neighbors) and buzzards got it located later.

The coyote had been eating on a wild turkey that was found during the search for the coyote. The landowner was not pleased about the loss of the turkey, but was happy about the loss of the coyote. He won't be feeding on any more turkeys.

Posted By: 603Country

Re: 200 Yard Coyote - 02/27/16 02:40 PM

I love hunting and shooting coyotes. It's a bigger thrill than deer hunting these days. I think it's because they are so darn smart and alert.

Re: 200 Yard Coyote - 02/27/16 04:56 PM

And they are a smaller and seem to move around more as well. The challenge is much greater, no doubt.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: 200 Yard Coyote - 02/27/16 06:07 PM

They do move around a lot. Hardly ever stand still for more than a microsecond, so a fellow better be a good shot on moving game. Between the coyotes and hogs, I've really raised my skill level on moving game (inside about 100 yards or so). Miss a pig and they can speed up pretty good, but miss a coyote and I swear they can fly when they hit high gear.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: 200 Yard Coyote - 02/27/16 08:09 PM

Awesome video!
Posted By: miket1

Re: 200 Yard Coyote - 02/27/16 08:16 PM

great vid and nice shooting!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: 200 Yard Coyote - 02/27/16 08:39 PM

DNS, why did you not put a second shot into him as he was standing there (maybe more like rolling around) waiting for the finishing shot?

I know sometimes I feel like the first shot is enough to get it done but those coyotes are tough and lately I shoot until they are done moving, similar to a hog. Hopefully the first drops them, but if it doesn't, then I go bang until the animal goes flop.

Awesome shot, amazing how still you were for that 200 yard shot and how calm the gun is after the shot. Great video too.

Re: 200 Yard Coyote - 02/27/16 09:08 PM

Honestly, I didn't think he was going anywhere. If they don't drop dead, but do drop, they usually flop and roll around, trying to get access to their wound and then expire very quickly. He went still and that was what was expected. Turns out, he needed to go about 5 feet before disappearing down the berm in to the pond area and that is what he did about 30 second later.

It they are up and dancing around, that is another issue and I try to get a 2nd shot into them.

This was the first coyote I had get up after going still.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: 200 Yard Coyote - 02/27/16 09:34 PM

I agree, usually they flip and roll and flip and then are done. It's easy to second guess the no second shot now, but in the heat of it I am not sure I would have shot a second either, assuming he was down with the first the way he was acting.
Dang things are tough. Smart. Fun to shoot!!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: 200 Yard Coyote - 02/28/16 07:10 PM

Nice Shooting!

I'm such a lousy shot I probably wouldn't have even tried. I guess I need to break open my piggy bank (that's a joke, son!) and spend a little on some ammo for practice.

Congratulations!
--
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum