Texas Hunting Forum

Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog.

Posted By: Texaslawman

Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/18/16 03:56 AM

(Moderators I put this here because varmints and hogs are all you can hunt with night vision please do not move. Thanks!)

This is just a short video showing the latest night vision vs the latest thermal in thick fog with a full moon. I though some of you may find it interesting.

Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/18/16 04:26 AM

great contrast. what is the scope rigged with?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/18/16 04:28 AM

Yep, thermal definitely works better than NV in the fog, full, partial, or no moon.

I have hunted several nights in a stand where I was using thermal and did not realize a fog had come in, though the thermal image did deteriorate some as is often the case when there is a large change in the relative humidity. So as TLM's video clearly shows, you can hunt more and longer with thermal when a fog rolls in and with success.

The nice thing about hunting in fog or a light mist is that the animals are that much less apt to sense you are nearby. They can't see you, likely can't smell you, and the fog dampens noises you may make.

With that said, I have hunted 3 or maybe 4 nights where the fog rolled in so thick that thermal was useless beyond about 30 yards, but that is a rare exception. Night vision and white light failed to be of much use well before the thermal did.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/18/16 04:28 AM

and exotics... up good video.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/18/16 04:33 AM

cheers cool vid... flag
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/18/16 06:38 AM

Very informative, good job.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/18/16 02:37 PM

Great demonstration. The biggest advantage I have noticed that NV has over thermal is the ability to see through glass, otherwise, thermal all the way.. Good job! :-)

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/18/16 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Great demonstration. The biggest advantage I have noticed that NV has over thermal is the ability to see through glass, otherwise, thermal all the way.. Good job! :-)

Yes that is a huge advantage depending on your hunting style. There has been two three times over the last few years where the night vision could see better than thermal but those times are very rare. But I still prefer to move arround with night vision and shoot/spot with thermal.
Posted By: hdfireman

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/18/16 08:25 PM

With the advances in thermal technology it has really closed the gap between NV and thermal but as TLM stated it is better to navigate with night vision. Also the thermal will never be as good as ID'ing a target like NV can i.e.... colors, facial features etc.

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/19/16 03:36 AM

I've been using a helmet mounted IR Patrol to walk around. It has grown on me. I see a lot of stuff I would miss with NV. When I do use NV for walking I use a white phosphor set up. I feel it offers better depth perception than the standard green.

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/23/16 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
I've been using a helmet mounted IR Patrol to walk around. It has grown on me. I see a lot of stuff I would miss with NV. When I do use NV for walking I use a white phosphor set up. I feel it offers better depth perception than the standard green.

I still prefer night vision for navigation but I do use a thermal monocular to scan with. Just started using the white phosphorus and I agree much less eye strain.

Re: Night Vision vs Thermal while hog hunting in thick fog. - 01/23/16 07:00 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum