Texas Hunting Forum

Hog sausage?

Posted By: BlakeJ

Hog sausage? - 12/19/15 01:52 AM

When making link sausage out of wild piggies, what ratio of domestic pig fat is best?
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Hog sausage? - 12/19/15 02:22 AM

It depends on what you like. I have bought mostly fat pork jowl to mix with feral pig for sausage and I use one pound jowl per 3 pounds lean feral. That ends up with about an 80% lean sausage. For more fat flavor, you can use 2 pounds jowl per 3 pounds feral. That will give you about 65% lean sausage. I have to use a little butter or bacon grease when cooking the lean, so it doesn't completely stick to the skillet. The lean doesn't sit as heavy on my stomach as commercial sausage.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hog sausage? - 12/19/15 03:08 AM

Personally, I don't normally use domestic fat. If there's not enough fat on the hog, I just smoke it or turn it into ground meat. When I do get a fat hog I use the 'hard' fat off of the back and sides and mix it in with the rest of the meat to make sausage. That said, I think the general rule is that you need about 25-30% fat to make sausage. 20% is the bare minimum. You may, of course, use more if that's to your liking.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Hog sausage? - 12/19/15 03:36 AM

I don't use domestic fat unless it is a really lean pig. The fat ones I try to leave as much on them as I can.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Hog sausage? - 12/22/15 05:51 PM

Just made 12.5lbs of bratwurst with nothing but pure ground wild pork! They are much leaner than store bought brats but they are fine eating!
Posted By: Gonehuntn

Re: Hog sausage? - 12/24/15 08:59 PM

I use 2 lbs of beef fat from H E B to every 10 lbs of wild pork and it turns out great
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum