Texas Hunting Forum

Sheild Thickness

Posted By: SouthWestIron

Sheild Thickness - 12/14/15 11:36 PM

Just thought I'd through this picture up of my son's hog. When we skinned it we had to cut the skin into two pieces and take each side down up to the back. We initially started rolling it down like we always have done on deer but it started to bunch up too bad because of the thickness.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/15/15 12:36 AM

I've seen them over an inch and a half.....tough stuff......
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/15/15 01:02 AM

My hunting buddy keeps a piece frozen in his freezer that is over 2" thick. It is impressive. Most of what I see (that I cut into) is between 1/2 and 1 1/4"
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/15/15 02:38 AM

Pretty common for the Boars around here (mature) to have an inch or more or build up. This one was right at 2” in places.

When skinning hogs with any significant ‘shield’, cut the hide in strips about 4” wide and peel them off (pulling down from head to rump).

I use a razor knife to make the cuts (go with the lay of the hair). Makes skinning so much easier.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/15/15 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
When skinning hogs with any significant ‘shield’, cut the hide in strips about 4” wide and peel them off (pulling down from head to rump).

I use a razor knife to make the cuts (go with the lay of the hair). Makes skinning so much easier.

Pretty much the same strategy here. We use a gut hook with a disposal box cutter blade — No sharpening required, just put in a new blade. We formerly used a box cutter, but cutting INTO the hide put a lot of dirt and hair on the meat. The gut hook technique cuts from the inside out. Like Flintknapper said, we cut the hide into strips and use a pair of Vice-Grip Pliers to pull the skin off.

HOWEVER: The gut hook just won't go through a thick shield. For that, we either go back to the box cutter or pull out a knife and skin the old-fashioned way. Which method we utilize depends upon the thickness the shield.
Posted By: nak

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/15/15 04:41 AM

If the shield is starts to become a problem when skinning, I quickly decide I don't really want what is on the other side.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/15/15 07:04 AM

Trapped a biggun the other day with scars, had 4 00 buck pellets in the 2" shield, one in the backstrap, no penetration to vitals tough.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/15/15 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: nak
If the shield is starts to become a problem when skinning, I quickly decide I don't really want what is on the other side.

+1
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/15/15 02:56 PM

If the shield is a problem, we just remove it as a panel.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/15/15 04:05 PM

^^^^^^^^^^

I haven’t personally found 00 buck in the shield or tissue of the hogs I have killed but I have found birdshot and .22 rimfire bullets. The ‘shield’…(except in older Boars) is really not that hard and is actually a fibrous tissue, but it does offer some level of protection for the underlying muscle.

Here is an example of an average ‘shield’ for a mature boar in MY area (Deep East Texas). About 1” in thickness.

One thing to consider however…. is that the thickness of the shield is effectively increased when impacted at angles greater or less than 90°.

Here is an illustration of what I mean. A big hog….with a 2” shield might offer the equivalent of a 3”-4” shield if shot/struck at a raking angle.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/15/15 09:07 PM

I normally cut down the belly and back and pull off in two pieces. But I don't skin over forty or fifty a year. Guys like Ben Capps at Threefingers skin them most every weekend and make it look easy.
Posted By: Yellowhammer

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/16/15 07:18 PM

Nothing like rank boar sausage and chops.
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/17/15 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
I normally cut down the belly and back and pull off in two pieces. But I don't skin over forty or fifty a year. Guys like Ben Capps at Threefingers skin them most every weekend and make it look easy.

I go the same but I hang them from the head and skin down to the feet. The weight of the shield will almost skin itself..
Posted By: passthru

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/19/15 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer

Every now and then I get one that I don't like. But usually it's a weaned down sow or one that's been eating a dead cow or something. The ones on corn, acorns and grass/clover are generally really good. Even the boars. And if you know how to do a good brine soak you can maximize your enjoyment.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/21/15 04:48 AM

I've never seen em w buckshot either but it was there. As far as meat good or bad I've eaten little hogs tasted terrible and Higgins that was the finest tablefare I ever did eat. It depends on what they've been eating and I've learned all hogs smell butif meat smells like the outside it gonna be rank. I second the brining, my favorite way to flavor meat nowadays...
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/22/15 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer

Every now and then I get one that I don't like. But usually it's a weaned down sow or one that's been eating a dead cow or something. The ones on corn, acorns and grass/clover are generally really good. Even the boars. And if you know how to do a good brine soak you can maximize your enjoyment.

Managed to make 12.5 pounds of brats before we left last weekend back for more hunting. Me and the oldest grilled 4 of them on oak and charcoal. They were excellent. These were from 196lb boar. I'm thinking a lot of pork out there goes to waste.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Sheild Thickness - 12/24/15 01:20 AM

Those shields can be insanely dense! I shot a very large boar last week with a 110 Accubond from a 6.8. Dropped him in his tracks but the bullet lodged in the opposite shield. First time I have ever recovered an Accubond in my life! Will try to post some pics after the first of the year. Its been one heck of a good hog season for me so far and still have one more trip left to make.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum