Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Traps

Posted By: East Texas Hunter

Hog Traps - 10/07/15 07:31 PM

Hey everyone, I have a family member that is having trouble with hogs in his pasture, outside of city limits, but neighbors are within 200 yards in all directions so I can't sit out there and shoot them with a rifle. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on homemade traps that are easy to build and aren't going to break the bank. I am considering a Circle C hog trap (may not be the correct name) made out of t-posts and cattle panels. If I get hogs in the trap I can kill them with a pistol due to the fact the bullet won't travel as far. Thanks in advance for any advice and tips.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Hog Traps - 10/07/15 07:39 PM

You've got the right idea with t post and panels up
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hog Traps - 10/07/15 07:42 PM

Week or two their was a person on here with thread bout atomatic trap doors, he sets up his traps at your place... Worth checking into... flag
Posted By: rarjar

Re: Hog Traps - 10/07/15 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: East Texas Hunter
Hey everyone, I have a family member that is having trouble with hogs in his pasture, outside of city limits, but neighbors are within 200 yards in all directions so I can't sit out there and shoot them with a rifle. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on homemade traps that are easy to build and aren't going to break the bank. I am considering a Circle C hog trap (may not be the correct name) made out of t-posts and cattle panels. If I get hogs in the trap I can kill them with a pistol due to the fact the bullet won't travel as far. Thanks in advance for any advice and tips.

This my setup using t-posts and panels with a custom made hog gate.

Posted By: bull279

Re: Hog Traps - 10/07/15 09:13 PM

A cheap way to make a hog trap is make a circle with t-posts and then put the cattle panels up on the t-posts. The last cattle panel should overlap the first panel that you set by several feet. Do not secure the end of this panel, but put a door spring from the end of the panel to somewhere on the first panel. The hogs will push against the panels and find their way into the pen and the spring will pull the panel back closed and they can't get out.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Hog Traps - 10/07/15 10:37 PM

Figure-6 trap, and they work. You build the trap as you stated but in a "6" shape v. a "c." The pigs can shove into the point where the "flap" of the 6 meets the circle, but it closes behind them and they can't get out. Look up some of Doc Higginbotham's designs.

This'll get you started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZb7hrzb19I

edited to add: Mis-spelled Higginbotham, if you can imagine that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum