Texas Hunting Forum

What color recital works best at night with a red spot light

Posted By: Michael Wilson

What color recital works best at night with a red spot light - 10/03/15 06:03 PM

OK my son is looking for a new scope. I would think I know the answer to this but I have been surprised before. What color recital works best when night hunting (coyotes) with a red spot light. Red (I think it would blend in with the light) or green. Thanks
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: What color recital works best at night with a red spot light - 10/03/15 06:19 PM

Non illuminated or green. Not red

I have never used green but I know red is not the answer
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: What color recital works best at night with a red spot light - 10/03/15 11:18 PM

Red works best for me. All depends on how many illumination settings it has, the brightness and adjustability of your spotlight and brightness of the moon. I've always used red. But the scopes have always been Leupold or Vortex viper pst. There's more red on the market than green.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: What color recital works best at night with a red spot light - 10/04/15 02:24 AM

A 'contrasting' color will normally be best. If the light is bright and your target well lit, then you can simply use the black reticle. I prefer a green reticle when there is red light and vice/versa. The scope on my daughter's rifle will let you pick between red or green, I like that feature. All of mine are red only.

In any case, be certain the scope offers a level of illumination that is low enough (under low light conditions) that the reticle does not compete for your focus on the target. If it is too bright, it will tend to 'wash out' your sight picture.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: What color recital works best at night with a red spot light - 10/04/15 01:54 PM

green

I use a vortex lighted reticle with a red dot in the center and green lights at night, very easy to see a contrasting color like that.
Posted By: fr3db3ar

Re: What color recital works best at night with a red spot light - 10/04/15 02:33 PM

I've used red on red with no problems. It's all about the contrast in brightness then.
Posted By: hornet527

Re: What color recital works best at night with a red spot light - 10/07/15 04:41 PM

red mainly some green green is a little to much contrast for me
Posted By: GLC

Re: What color recital works best at night with a red spot light - 10/07/15 06:11 PM

My illumination in my scope is red. My light mounted to my rifle is green.
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: What color recital works best at night with a red spot light - 10/08/15 10:44 PM

I use a Red SniperHawg Light made in TEXAS. but i leave my scope black or turn the retical green. (my scope has a red or green option) red during day, green or black at night.!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum