Texas Hunting Forum

surprised by this one

Posted By: Freeman

surprised by this one - 10/02/15 03:14 PM

Got to the blind at 0630 yesterday thinking I was too late and all the noise I was making getting up the ladder was scaring every creature within a mile. Still dark, but the moon was plenty bright--I didn't even need a light to walk the 15 minutes out to the blind. I opened the front window on the blind and it looked like something was at the feeder 100 yards away, so I put the scope on it and sure enough, there is a pig! Couldn't believe he stayed after all noise I just made. Then, I turned my XLR250 green LED light on him and he just kept on eating. Bang! Dead hog. Girth estimate of weight made him about 265. Never saw a boar that nonchalant or non-reactive to noise and the light. He was all wet and covered with mud from the nearby creek.
[/URL][/img]
Posted By: Cast

Re: surprised by this one - 10/02/15 03:15 PM

SaWeeet!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: surprised by this one - 10/02/15 03:48 PM

cheers lot of people using the tape messure method, hear its pretty acurate... Was judging size by pic & the AR... Hog looks about same size as i took.. Took two pic's one AR above hog the other at its feet.. At feet hog looks smaller... Will post pics when able, can see what trying ta say... rofl Got bad grades in English.... For just price of hunting licence, saved big bucks at store for grillen & chillen... Wish we had hog problems like others on here... Can see bottom of freezer... Congrats, eased to with-in 20-25yrds ta one i took, rofl guess not showering payed off.... flag
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: surprised by this one - 10/02/15 05:31 PM

Isn't that fun when it happens?

I think animals are more at ease when you aren't being sneaky and they hear you than when you are and they hear you.
Posted By: customcutter

Re: surprised by this one - 10/02/15 06:28 PM

Nice one!
Posted By: coach20

Re: surprised by this one - 10/03/15 02:03 AM

cheers
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: surprised by this one - 10/03/15 02:08 AM

cheers
Big piggy
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: surprised by this one - 10/03/15 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: customcutter
Nice one!

cheers
Posted By: shadams

Re: surprised by this one - 10/05/15 08:16 PM

I could have written your post as far as getting in the stand. Walked to my spot by the light of the moon, late as usual, climbed the ladder and I was dropping [censored] left and right, banged my binocs on the shooting rail and on and on. But in my case I actually did scare everything off becuase I sat there an hour before 2 little fallow does walked up.

Nice shootin!
Posted By: destroyer4570

Re: surprised by this one - 10/09/15 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Freeman
Got to the blind at 0630 yesterday thinking I was too late and all the noise I was making getting up the ladder was scaring every creature within a mile. Still dark, but the moon was plenty bright--I didn't even need a light to walk the 15 minutes out to the blind. I opened the front window on the blind and it looked like something was at the feeder 100 yards away, so I put the scope on it and sure enough, there is a pig! Couldn't believe he stayed after all noise I just made. Then, I turned my XLR250 green LED light on him and he just kept on eating. Bang! Dead hog. Girth estimate of weight made him about 265. Never saw a boar that nonchalant or non-reactive to noise and the light. He was all wet and covered with mud from the nearby creek.
[/URL][/img]

Freeman, what scope do you have on your AR and what brand of rings/mount do you have? I am looking for some scope rings like that, that will clear my magpul rear flip up sight. Also what height are they? That is a nice set up you got there.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: surprised by this one - 10/09/15 09:29 PM

cheers food
Posted By: Freeman

Re: surprised by this one - 10/10/15 09:03 PM

Thanks--I love that Ruger! That's a Redfield Accurange scope--2x7X33. I'm not sure about the rings--think they are one of the lesser brands from Optical Planet. The way I have it mounted the flip up sights cannot be used.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum