Texas Hunting Forum

Darn it!

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Darn it! - 09/24/15 12:42 PM

Just got busted by the hog I was after...not sure if it was the thermacell or the fact I was trying to put a blind together for the last 6 hours and had some other scent on me.

I had no idea where he came from and I heard a blow and looked and he was trotting across my field of view for all of about 2 seconds before gone. Johnny on the spot here didn't even have his gun ready because I figured he would stay a while....dang!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Darn it! - 09/24/15 12:45 PM

Dang, maybe he will come back out this evening, was probably headed to bedding area for the day

Re: Darn it! - 09/24/15 01:58 PM

Problem is I won't be back tonight, next time will be opening bow season. Could still get him that Friday night up
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Darn it! - 09/24/15 02:20 PM

wind could have shifted

happened to me several times
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Darn it! - 09/24/15 03:54 PM

He will be back. It was most liklely the scent. My grandpa was hunting a stand last year the day we put corn in a feeder the hogs came to the feeder as soon as they got there they took off. That is one thing different than deer if they sense danger they won't stick around and try to figure out what you are. they might blow at you but it's to thick to see them.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Darn it! - 09/24/15 04:08 PM

You can place a hog diesel rub near your feeder. Spray down(boots) with fresh diesel each time you enter your hunting area. I bet you won't have a problem with them winding you again. This the best way cover your scent that I've found for hogs, not sure about deer.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Darn it! - 09/25/15 04:00 PM

It happens, but since the hog didn't experience any harm, he'll be back soon. Now if you'd taken a shot and missed, he'd be gone for a while.

Re: Darn it! - 09/25/15 06:02 PM

Well, good news is I moved
My covert cell cam to that feeder so I will now know when the hog is there and don't have to sit all night.
Bad news is the boar called his friends spotty and hoss and there were three different boars there all night last night. I will let them get comfortable but come next weekend, it'll be game
On...have to pack my thermal gear as well as bow and xbow next weekend.

There will be pig blood soon!
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Darn it! - 09/25/15 08:23 PM

Good Luck To You
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Darn it! - 09/28/15 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
Good Luck To You
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum