Texas Hunting Forum

I hate feral pigs

Posted By: Texas Dan

I hate feral pigs - 09/19/15 04:21 AM

Cost me $60 in parts and a couple hours of time fixing the front hubs on my tractor. Most of the wear and tear came from having to deal with roads torn up by feral pigs.

As you would with a common cockroach, never give a feral pig a pass.
Posted By: kry226

Re: I hate feral pigs - 09/19/15 07:38 AM

I don't care if I'm hunting a Booner, any pig is getting shot on sight. biker
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: I hate feral pigs - 09/19/15 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: kry226

Exactly, hogs and coyotes never get a pass from me.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: I hate feral pigs - 09/19/15 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: kry226

Exactly, hogs and coyotes never get a pass from me.

Touché.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: I hate feral pigs - 09/19/15 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Exactly, coyotes never get a pass from me.

Bless you!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: I hate feral pigs - 09/19/15 12:56 PM

It is a real problem.

I changed my hunting rig this year to a Wilson Combat 308 to better address the problem. The most I have ever shot with the bolt gun in 270 have been 3 out of a sounder opportunity. I expect to at least double that number on opportunities.

Our ranch is a prime example of 10 hunters on 9300 acres is not enough hunting pressure to come close to keeping up with their reproduction.

I guess the only silver lining is I do enjoy wacking and stacking them. aim rifle
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: I hate feral pigs - 09/19/15 07:57 PM

My buddy and I say "The first rule of hog hunting is that the hogs have to show up!"

For the past couple of years, the hogs have been doing their part. Six or eight years ago I might get a hog every fifth or sixth hunt. Now it's a rare occasion that I don't get one. I'm not getting any smarter, the hogs have just been regularly showing up.

By no means can we get rid of them just by hunting, but we do our best. I'm working on getting a corral trap operating.
Posted By: miket1

Re: I hate feral pigs - 09/20/15 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Cost me $60 in parts and a couple hours of time fixing the front hubs on my tractor. Most of the wear and tear came from having to deal with roads torn up by feral pigs.

Well, depending on circumstances I may be able to help you with that. I am not too far from Spring. I have 2 rifles with digital nightvision on them. If you need help taking out your frustrations on em, pm me and we'll see if we can put a hurt on em together.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: I hate feral pigs - 09/20/15 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Tell me about it. Couple of summers ago...moving some tree trunks and limbs with the tractor, I turned sharply to the left and the right front tire drops down into a hole a hog had rooted out. Soil is sandy-loam and pretty soft...so the tire digs in and the entire wheel and tire pop off the spindle. Spindle and spindle nut stripped from the sudden stop. Big International Cab Tractor way out in a pasture, down and out. 100 degree day when I finally got the parts. Miserable time trying to get the front end jacked up and the parts replaced.

THIS summer, I am cutting across a different pasture to go check some cameras and the left front tire of my Ranch Vehicle drops down into a rooted up hole (you can't see them when the grass is high). I heard a 'pop' and when I went to turn left on the road, my vehicle just kept going straight! Get out...and sure enough the tie rod is dangling there! Dead in the water again. A mile from home, Wife not answering her cell phone. Get to walk back, cussing Hogs.

THAT is why I am willing to stay up late, or get up early to go and kill the pests. Big ones, little ones, doesn't matter, they are shoot on sight!
Posted By: Cast

Re: I hate feral pigs - 09/20/15 02:04 AM

Every bone, muscle and joint in my body is sore after my day on the tractor. Where there was once water is now a tractor breaker.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum