Texas Hunting Forum

Weight on these sal's?

Posted By: BUBBAJ 115

Weight on these sal's? - 09/11/15 05:29 PM

Couple pics I pulled off the cam during labor day weekend. 2 toned boar and some pregnant sals, my dad "first ever hunt" shot the boar Sunday night but I failed to specify head shot should be in the ear and not when he is looking straight at you. The boar was screaming as if he had been shot but we never found him or any evidence of blood. We assumed the bullet ricocheted off his skull and stung him a little bit. 15yrd shot and gun was dead on. I guess if he shows back up well find out. The bottom of my varmint cage is 3' off the ground to give you a judgment on size.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Weight on these sal's? - 09/11/15 05:44 PM

they gona be a lot lighter in about a week or two
Posted By: rickym

Re: Weight on these sal's? - 09/11/15 06:25 PM

Probably about 200 after they drop them babies
Posted By: Erich

Re: Weight on these sal's? - 09/14/15 09:02 PM

probably shot him thru the snout. no centerfire bullet would have bounced off the skull. at 15yds a 22 would have killed him. shooting a hog face on...you have to aim pretty high on the top of the head to hit the brain....anywhere in the lower 2/3 will just go thru the snout. they'll die...but they run a long ways. die a few days later maybe.

the top boar I'd say maybe 130-150lbs live weight. the sows....maybe same size...they are good size hogs, but the huge belly makes them look bigger than what they really are. those sows would be in excellent shape to butcher about now. probably a little morbid...but a pregnant sow is the absolutely best condition a feral will ever be in for butchering.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum