Texas Hunting Forum

Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal?

Posted By: REALKILLER

Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/07/15 10:58 PM

I read a write up in a September 2015 Field and Stream about wild hogs. The most catchy write up in the article was about the state of Tennessee making it illegal to hunt wild hogs, but land owners could kill them if they were on their land and hunters can hunt them only on controlled hunts on select WMAs with established pig populations. Aside from that pig hunting is illegal. From what I can tell is that the state is trying to slow the commercialization of hunting wild hogs that may potentially aid in the over population of wild hogs. Like illegally stocking them and creating a bigger than it needs to be subject?? Man are we really the problem and not just the hogs. The thing that did make since was that their surveys said that it didn't matter how many you kill, but how many you left. They said a couple hogs left could be all that was needed to quickly start back a herd in a matter of a year, but that was more important to the south of Tennessee folks. Is hog hunting going to be a get a ticket or go to jail type of hunt in the future or have the Tennesseeans lost their freekin minds? scratch
Posted By: ChefAndy

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/07/15 11:13 PM

Well that's a decision they're going to regret in a few years

Tennessee made recreational hunting for wild hogs illegal - 09/07/15 11:20 PM

I read a write up in a September 2015 Field and Stream about wild hogs. The most catchy write up in the article was about the state of Tennessee making it illegal to hunt wild hogs, but land owners could kill them if they were on their land and hunters can hunt them only on controlled hunts on select WMAs with established pig populations. Aside from that pig hunting is illegal. From what I can tell is that the state is trying to slow the commercialization of hunting wild hogs that may potentially aid in the over population of wild hogs. Like illegally stocking them and creating a bigger than it needs to be subject?? Man are we really the problem and not just the hogs. The thing that did make since was that their surveys said that it didn't matter how many you kill, but how many you left. They said a couple hogs left could be all that was needed to quickly start back a herd in a matter of a year, but that was more important to the south of Tennessee folks. Is hog hunting going to be a get a ticket or go to jail type of hunt in the future or have the Tennesseeans lost their freekin minds? scratch
Posted By: breadman

Re: Tennessee made recreational hunting for wild hogs illegal - 09/07/15 11:38 PM

oh no !! now were gonna have HOG HUGGERS .
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/07/15 11:44 PM

It is a two-edged sword. We have had a couple of posts here about folks in Oklahoma importing and releasing hogs into the wild, some of which were diseased, the purpose of the release was to establish populations to be hunted. So if you destroy the hog hunting industry, you destroy the incentive for people helping the spread of the population.

The problem here is that such a policy really only works if you have it in place BEFORE you have a hog problem. Slamming the barn door after the horses get out doesn't do you any real good except letting you express frustration.

Yeah, they will be sorry. They were going to be sorry anyway. Maybe it just happens a little sooner.

Have they lost their minds? Not exactly. Given that nobody has managed to control the spread of the hog population regardless of methods used so far, it is hard to say who has lost their minds and who hasn't. So far the only truly limiting factors for feral hogs seems to be environmental factors (climate and resources) and hogs seem to be slowly adapting to those as well.

It should be pointed out that it is illegal to hunt feral hogs {for sport} in numerous states such as Washington, Kansas, Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and others. https://hogmanoutdoors.com/hog-hunting-regulations-by-state/ A lot of these states have little or not hog problem and it is their goal to not have one at all. I would say that it is too late for New York and the same would go for Tennessee. Missouri "discourages" the hunting of feral hogs, whatever that means, LOL.

Re: Tennessee made recreational hunting for wild hogs illegal - 09/07/15 11:47 PM

This thread is a double post of your other thread

Re: Tennessee made recreational hunting for wild hogs illegal - 09/08/15 12:56 PM

Had a computer melt down and I guess it decided to send it when I wasn't looking. grin

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/08/15 01:18 PM

I do figure that when man gets ahold of an opportunity like moving wild hogs around for hunting, it can get out of control. I Know of a trapper or two that have contracts to trap and then they will take their hogs over to jimmy joes hog lease to be released sometimes not five miles down the road in some old free ranging river bottoms. Most of them are hog doggers, so most of those hogs will never be killed because hog doggers love to catch and release. I dare say that they are one of east Texas' worst enemies on the war on hogs. Ive been on a couple dog hunts and after I saw what the dogs got I was done. One of the dog owners said I was bad luck because his dogs get all cut up when I go, and I said it sounds like you've got some novice bay dogs that don't know how to stay back and just bay and like to lunge in and bite. That's when they get hit by the hog! Me myself like to try to rid my hunting spots of the pest. I don't like walking in rutted up land. I don't like the hogs eating virtually all the acorns. I don't like watching deer and then the hogs come out and run the deer off, not mention the ones that don't come out just because the hogs are already out. I don't like having to worry about walking right up on a startled grumpy boar in the dark. Overall they just mess up deer hunting all around. I can be sitting on a ridge deer hunting minding my own and a pack of hogs will feed up on me and eventually discover me. Guess what they all take off running blowing, busting brush , alarming everything in the countryside. mad That's why I try to kill a few when its not deer season and if I see one on the walk back to the truck in the dark after a deer hunt. Its a dead hog.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/08/15 01:27 PM

I think it's the same reason why it is in New York. It's complete crap but they say it's because when you shoot one they spread out and not come back to that area. I read an article on it.

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/08/15 07:00 PM

wonder how long it will take the confused states to cash in like cali. and require TAGS for hogs ??

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/08/15 08:52 PM

Tags for hogs, lets hope not. Im not buyin

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/08/15 09:11 PM

OR WORSE TRAPPING LICENSE TO TRAP THEM , THIS COULD REALY GO SOUTH ON US bs
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/08/15 09:22 PM

Says the landowners can kill them...

Good way to talk people into hunting public land or buying property..

Interesting to see were it goes
Posted By: ProneOutfitters

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/08/15 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: breadman
oh no !! now were gonna have HOG HUGGERS .
roflmao
Posted By: luvpigmeet

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/09/15 01:21 AM

In PA we had a slight problem with hogs being released in the wild from a transporter not having the right paperwork. They would not let us hunt them due to the fact that they wanted to trap them. Guess they did a pretty good job in doing that. we can shoot any left if we are out hunting other game. Just can't specifically go after hogs. Maybe that is what Tennessee is trying to do. I love hunting hogs, only chance we have here is at a preserve paying a frickin 500-800 a hog on some preserve.

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/09/15 01:45 AM

500-800 or a hog? cyclo WOW! I kill them for the price of gas to get to them and ammo.
Posted By: bull279

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/09/15 03:11 PM

TN obviously hasn't been talking to those states that have well established feral hog populations. A couple of years ago, Texas had agricultural losses due to wild hogs that were around $500,000,000. That was why they were having the feral hog grant program to control and decimate the population. Around here, the drought helped drive down the numbers, but they are coming back. TN is going to have some problems and they don't realize it yet.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/09/15 06:50 PM

Double Naught Spy has it about right it depends on the current population. Kansas did a great job of eradicating the hog problem as it was only in the southern counties. Once they had it down to two counties there were some hunters who owned the private land that would not cooperate with the eradication effort. If a state has a high polulation there is no chance of eliminatin of the species, but they can control it if they are willing to let the Helos fly, and hunters hunt.
Posted By: luvpigmeet

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/10/15 01:49 AM

realkiller, would love to help y'all out with the hog problem there.

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/10/15 11:15 PM

I hear ya, them hogs are lurkin around my woods and they aren't going anywhere. Ive hunted white tails in Illinois a few times and the land owner told me if you see a hog kill it. I said Ive never seen or heard a hog or a coyote for that matter in his state. They said they've got the numbers down to almost nothing. I did see a mountain lion in a tree off the co. rd. though. first one ever and the land owner said never shoot any kind of cat, because the state had a stocking program and most bobcats, mountain lions, ect were collared. I said cool! Ive hunted Missouri and never saw them there either, but Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana have plenty.
Posted By: Chick

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/11/15 06:55 PM

Double Naught Spy, they could make it against the law to charge anything, by any means of compensation, to stop the hog hunting industry.

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/11/15 07:43 PM

No Chick, that would not work. It is much easier to enforce a total ban on hunting than just a ban on charging, which would require actual sting operations to prove. You would still have folks importing hogs, ostensibly for recreational or personal food hunting.

The arguments were not mine, but from a couple of the states that put in these laws. I don't approve of the logic one iota.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/14/15 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
500-800 or a hog? cyclo WOW! I kill them for the price of gas to get to them and ammo.

Yep, my expenses for hog hunting are:
1) Gas
2) Ice
3) Ammo

This, of course, assumes that on considers the purchase of firearms as a sunk cost, not to be recurring.

Basically though, I just tell my wife to consider it all as "entertainment expense!"
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/14/15 04:53 PM

confused2 Not a hog irradicator more of hunting for food for grillen & chillen... Cant speak for all parts of texas ... Around here, some one is TKB , can go from weeks ta couple months with out getting a pic of hogs, nor signs of hogs... Even on the WMA were its Not 24-7-365 hog hunts, the last few years not seeing the numbers.... Got on texasHF ta see if some one wanted ta do some hog hunten... WMA have greater concentration of hogs, because of the 24-7-365 hunting pressure on surrounding privet land.. The work begins getting the hog out... Backpacking works best... Just gotten mere not able ta huntsolo like did in years past.... Usdta getting laughed at & made fun of.... rofl This thread is cool read... flag
Posted By: Fatdaddy

Re: Tennessee made receational hunting for wild hogs illegal? - 09/14/15 05:33 PM

I have a lot of family in TN. Talked to one of my brothers about this. He said the problem is that TN only had a few counties with wild hogs in the past. He said since other states with hog problems has hit the media and they see how much money people are getting for hog hunts a lot of TN residents have been bringing in wild hogs from other states and turning them loose hoping to get a hog problem so they can make money off the deal. The state is trying to head this off so they dont get a wild hog problem. Stop anyone from making money off the deal and they will stop bringing them in and turning them loose.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum