Texas Hunting Forum

Any Racoon Trappers on here???

Posted By: milton1allen

Any Racoon Trappers on here??? - 08/26/15 03:00 PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever trapped coons in any of the National Forests? Davy Crockett mainly. I am thinking about maybe spending a few days in January setting a trap line along some of the feeder creeks and make a million dollars on furs... HA HA. Anybody got any stories or advice they can share?
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Any Racoon Trappers on here??? - 08/26/15 05:33 PM

I'll share a story.

Last Friday night I went to whack a big boar 9 miles SE of Taylor TX but six coons arrived
first. Watching them via thermal over thirty minutes had my blood pressure up cuz they was grazing on my corn and the pit under the feeder was so large they were not viewable inside of it.
When a couple of em came over the rim I proceeded to whack the whole family but two got away
as the brush was only ten feet away. I'll be back this Friday to finish off the clan but my hog is arriving at 9:30 like clock work now so he'll go first.
Saturday morning I took the tractor and filled the pit under the feeder and this Saturday morning I'll dome that up even more like a pitchers mound. Coyotes got two coons, buzzards got one, and one remained when I departed with buzzards having marked it's corpse. I pondered recording the elimination of the Rocky family unit but decided not to. It was awesome. You should have been there.

Cheers
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Any Racoon Trappers on here??? - 08/28/15 02:20 PM

Set on sign and gang set, make sure you have a good anchoring system and secure your traps well being on public land, don't want to loose any to the 5 finger discounters
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum