Texas Hunting Forum

The Photon scores a Lucky Shot

Posted By: der Teufel

The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/20/15 06:14 PM

Got another sow out in Lee County Wednesday. As has been my routine for the past couple of months, I got up early and headed out a little over an hour before dawn in search of hogs. Lately I haven't been seeing them before daylight, catching them instead after dawn as they return to their bedding areas. This time however, I spied a sounder retiring early, but with the help of my trusty Photon NV scope I spoiled their plans.

I got to a pasture just before 6:00AM where I've shot several hogs this year. The moon was long down and the sky was dark, so I was using IR illumination when I heard hogs grunting and squealing. It took me several seconds to locate them, they were under some trees several hundred yards out. I could just make out their shapes, but from their size and movements it was clear they were hogs. I began sneaking along the tree line toward them, and made it to within about 50 yards of the nearest one, which I lined up on and shot. It turned out to be a sow weighing around 125 Lbs.

TRUE CONFESSIONS:
I guess I could just show the photo of the bullet placement and claim that I'm Annie Oakley's offspring, but I think I've already admitted on a few occasions that I'm basically an average shooter at best. I would virtually never try for a head shot unless EVERYTHING was perfect AND the planets were aligned. So, I aimed for the neck and made a perfect head shot. I always say I'd rather be lucky than good, mainly because luck sometimes seems easier to come by.

Anyway, we're having some friends over for dinner in a couple of weeks and I know what's going to be on the menu . . .

Posted By: syncerus

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/20/15 06:21 PM

This honesty is really a bad habit. The next thing you know, you'll start weighing fish. It's a slippery slope.

smile
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/20/15 06:44 PM

she jiggled her head left and that's why you hit her there ... does not matter ... you've got dinner
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/20/15 07:42 PM

Don't lie, d T! You are shooting some of that new guided ammo, aren't you?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/20/15 08:15 PM

DNS, where do I get some of this guided ammo cheap? Last time I saw that kind of ammo it was right next to the Indian corn and it was priced out of reach for me... roflmao

Good job dT! I would have worded your last paragraph a little differently to say something to the effect of your instincts and reflexes all aligned at just the right moment to take your aim point from the neck to the head for a certain quick kill. You were just looking out for the poor hog and didn't want her to suffer. cheers
Posted By: customcutter

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/20/15 11:19 PM

Good job, when I start getting shot placement like that, I know it's time to rezero the scope. Never hurts to check.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/20/15 11:27 PM

Luck or skill....matters not to me. Good Job!

Great story as well. Thanks for sharing.

Flint.

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/20/15 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: customcutter
Good job, when I start getting shot placement like that, I know it's time to rezero the scope. Never hurts to check.

Yep, that's on my To-Do list next time I'm out.
Posted By: splash556

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/21/15 12:50 AM

Congrats on the pig. What round were you shooting?

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/21/15 04:04 AM

In that rifle (AR-10) I use a Hornady 180 grain BTSP going a rather sedate 2200 feet/sec. Even at the lower speed it typically exits, and gives good expansion.
Posted By: Bearclaw

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/22/15 12:14 AM

Hell of a shot!
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/22/15 12:40 AM

aim up
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/22/15 01:27 AM

How Do you like that Photon Scope?? im looking at getting one for my 300 Blak out. Anything you can tell me about it? up

Re: The Photon scores a Lucky Shot - 08/22/15 11:43 PM

I like it plenty. Of course it doesn't compare to thermal gear, which has much greater range, but the cost is something like one-tenth of thermal. I rate it as a good buy for the money. At night I generally don't take shots much over 100 yards, and at that range the Photon still works well. Mine is an earlier model, the 3.5X, which has been discontinued and replaced by the Photon XT.

Info is here:
Photon 3.5X http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/Photon-3-5X-Digital-Rifle-Scope-p/sightmark-photon-3.5x.htm
Photon XT http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/Photon-XT-4-6X-Digital-Rifle-Scope-p/sm18008.htm

The 3.5X has laser illumination, while the XT uses leds. Not having used an XT I can't comment on what difference that might make. The illuminator on my 3.5X is good out to at least 80-90 yards, probably more depending upon conditions (if there's at least a quarter moon, I can see things in the open further away than I can shoot).

There have been some pretty comprehensive discussions by others on this site about the Photon that you may still be able to find.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum