Texas Hunting Forum

300 Blackout for Hog Hunting?

Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/18/15 03:34 AM

I just finished up a 300 Black out Ar that I would like to use for hunting pigs and deer with. Im wondering if any one has any experience hunting with this round and what round would be best hollow/ballistic tip ext.? Is this round powerful enough to do a lung/heart shot on a pig or should I go for neck? If any one has any idea or opinion Id love to hear it!! cowboy
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: 300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/18/15 04:00 AM

scratch have taken several hogs with .223 using cheap 55gr fmj at close range taking heart lung shots. Only trouble with the small cal. is most blood stays in body cavity, very little blood trail... Have had good luck with it.. Been trying ta get one using cheap hp, see how it does... Best ta get othet opinions.. Sure ya heard the old saying bout opinions.. As pappy says: mine stinks beens about done... Best wishes flag
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: 300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/18/15 12:32 PM

I use a 300 BO for hogs, and got reloads from ChadTRG42 on THF. On average, the little ones drop, the big ones usually travel about 30 yards.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: 300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/18/15 12:57 PM

I use Remington subs and hunt from a bow blind or treestand. So far I have only taken head shots and it has been effective.

Posted By: Vern1

Re: 300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/18/15 01:01 PM

Keep your shots close or go for head shots and you will be OK.
Distance and less that perfect shots and you will watch a lot of hogs run off.
And yeah, I wasted a lot of time and money with the Silvers Bullet..
Posted By: ProneOutfitters

Re: 300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/18/15 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I use Remington subs and hunt from a bow blind or treestand. So far I have only taken head shots and it has been effective.

I'd say so aim
Posted By: Texaslawman

Re: 300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/18/15 04:03 PM

Supersonic you will be fine use the Barnes black tips or the Hornady 123sst's.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/18/15 05:04 PM

Copied from the other 300 blk out thread:

I have used the 300 blk out for the last 2 seasons in both my bolt guns and 1 AR. I've taken several does, pigs, coyotes, and various smaller critters. Used within 200 yards or less, it's a great Texas hunting round. I have used bullets from 110 V-max, 115 Berger, and my favorites being the 125 grain variety.

The 110 V-max is a good round, but for tough pigs with a varmint bullet, it will fragment a little easier and limit penetration. The 110 V-max works great for deer, though.

The 115 Berger is a target bullet with a very thick jacket, and will hold together very well for deep penetration. I've taken several coyotes and 2 does with this bullet, and all were DRT with a good size exit wound. For it being a target bullet, I like using it for hunting also. (Plus they are on sale for $88 per 100, and I have about 25,000 of them!)

The 125 grain bullets are my preferred bullets. I have used the 125 Ballistic Tip, Hornady SST, and Sierra SP. These weight bullets offer the best expansion with deep penetration. On some of the larger pigs, customers have sent me pictures of perfect mushroom shaped bullets recovered from the opposite side shoulder under the skin. I generally used these bullets for hunting.

The 110 Barnes is a good solid copper bullet. It has a large hollow point behind the big plastic tip for expansion. You will get deep penetration with this bullet, but IMO, it lacks the hydrostatic shock, which the lead bullets provide. But it will still work well.

I have also taken a large pig with a 150 grain Ballistic Tip. I shot this pig running at about 50 yards, and the bullet entered right behind the shoulder. The pig piled up in about 40-50 yards. The exit wound was smaller than a dime size exit. This tells me this bullet did not expand much, if any at all. The 150 or heavier will work, but these bullets are going too slow for reliable expansion.

If you keep the bullet weight 125 grains or less, the blk out is a VERY effective round for Texas game. I will be using it again this season. I like the smaller, light weight rifles with the light recoil. And adding a suppressor to the rifle makes things really quiet!

If you need ammo, you can find my 300 blk out ammo: Link HERE
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: 300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/18/15 06:59 PM

Thanks for all this information!!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: 300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/18/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Texaslawman
Supersonic you will be fine use the Barnes black tips or the Hornady 123sst's.

Agreed. These are nasty medicine.
Posted By: Beckett

Re: 300 Blackout for Hog Hunting? - 08/19/15 04:05 AM

Killed about 200 with my Blackout using Barnes Tac-TX. Its just like any other deer caliber when you shoot pigs. Head, neck or spine shot and they fall dead right there.

Hit them in the shoulder, chest or behind the shoulder and they may fall right there or they may run 200 yds before they die.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum