Texas Hunting Forum

Striped and spotted piglets

Posted By: Simple Searcher

Striped and spotted piglets - 08/12/15 12:02 AM

My camera got knocked around a little, but even with it pointed almost straight down I got some good pictures.
I have seen all sorts of piglets and most on them grow up to look a lot like they did when they were little guys.
I wonder if these little fellows will lose their stripes, or end up as ugly as their mama?

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/12/15 12:08 AM

Spotted ones will be spotted, the stripped one as ugly as Mama, or that is what I have seen with watching some do in the past

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/12/15 12:37 AM

Oh good. I was beginning to think them rascals had cross bred with zebras. grin
Posted By: ericpecan

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/12/15 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Oh good. I was beginning to think them rascals had cross bred with zebras. grin

LOL! roflmao
Posted By: JCB

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/12/15 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Spotted ones will be spotted, the stripped one as ugly as Mama, or that is what I have seen with watching some do in the past

X2

And those two black and white ones are probably the rarest of all hogs. I have killed hogs all across the state but true black and white ones are the hardest to find. You will find a lot of light cream (almost white) and black ones but the true white/black is a nice find. I have only taken a handful of them myself. I call them Dalmatians.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/12/15 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB

X2

And those two black and white ones are probably the rarest of all hogs. I have killed hogs all across the state but true black and white ones are the hardest to find. You will find a lot of light cream (almost white) and black ones but the true white/black is a nice find. I have only taken a handful of them myself. I call them Dalmatians.

I have a few black and white ones .... I think they're the prettier among the normal black

here's one killed last weekend ... and there are about 10 more

Posted By: rickym

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/12/15 01:50 AM

The spots are always more attractive to shoot. I've heard the young brindle ones typically have a strong Russian bloodline. And almost always turn black

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/12/15 02:27 AM

This sucker has been hanging around all during the off season, we are hoping that he is made extinct this weekend. He may be the daddy of the little guys pictured earlier. He doesn't miss a meal, I hope my daughter doesn't miss him. rifle

Posted By: JCB

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/12/15 11:03 AM

We had one solid white 200ish pound Boar on our place several years ago. First one I have ever seen on camera or in person but I was never able to catch up with him. Had pics of him for two years and then I guess someone either got him or his time was up.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/12/15 01:19 PM

I guess you could say that he as target dots on him. Some bodies house pig got out and did some breeding along the way. I rarely see multi colored hogs, but I do have one spot where a bunch of black folks live, and the wild hogs are multi colored. Im thinking through the years their hogs bread with the wild black ones.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/13/15 01:41 AM

The cookies and cream piggies are cool
Don't have any around me,but will probably bump into some someday
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/13/15 02:19 AM

^^Correct^^
Posted By: ProneOutfitters

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/13/15 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

^^Correct^^

Yupp
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/13/15 05:28 PM

When I was in Germany ('85-'88) we'd feed the wild little striped piglets our MRE's by hand....with the bug ugly mama only a few feet away...I've got pics somewhere....

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/13/15 05:33 PM

Spotted little guy before he ever came out.
Was about 5 inches long.

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/14/15 01:10 AM

After looking through the game camera photos again, I noticed that some of the darker shoats still had slight signs of the stripes they had when they were piglets.

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/14/15 03:31 PM

Got a few spotted one's on our place in Fort McKavett as well.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/14/15 03:49 PM

I like spotted pigs. up

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/14/15 04:49 PM

I hate them all equally regardless of coloration. A lot of the bright white and black spotted hogs turn cream colored over time. GEt them around red clay and they'll turn reddish.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/14/15 05:08 PM

Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/15/15 12:38 AM

I love to tell my friends after they shoot a spotted hog that the spotted ones are protected and I have to report them to the game warden.

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/15/15 01:02 AM

I like the kind with one stripe much better. They are yummy.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/15/15 06:27 PM

I like them all but it is nice to kill some that aren't black every now ant then.
Posted By: Bearclaw

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/16/15 07:50 PM

This pig on the left is the first red/blue hog I've seen. The spots that look black are actually a tint of dark blue.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/17/15 01:01 AM

I'd say you caught that young 'un just in time, Clay!
Posted By: mikei

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/17/15 01:15 AM

Seems like my local sounders of feral hogs don't have much variety in their coloration, but they seem to make up for it in volume!

Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Striped and spotted piglets - 08/17/15 09:38 PM

Here's some spotted pigs we're seeing at our lease.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum