Posted By: skinnerback

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/08/15 10:13 PM

up
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/08/15 10:16 PM

Party at Hunter-Steves!
Posted By: passthru

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/08/15 10:40 PM

Clean them quick, cool them quicker and enjoy them at your leisure.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/08/15 10:48 PM

looks like it might cool down Thursday.. That is if 96 is considered cool. It's 107 right now at my place.. May take a day off and go that night.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/08/15 11:47 PM

cheers
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/09/15 01:51 AM

cheers
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/09/15 02:40 AM

grill
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/14/15 04:41 PM

Yep, as long as you get 'em on ice pretty fast they're just as tasty in warm weather as in cold.

So far my favorite sausage seasoning is made by Tex-Joy, located in Beaumont, TX. I buy it when I visit my mother in SE Texas. I haven't found it in central Texas, although you can buy it via the internet. I add some cayenne pepper to spice it up. Definitely a good use of meat from larger hogs, plus my wife is very conscientious about eating quality food, and we can control the fat content in the sausage we make ourselves. You certainly need fat in sausage, but we keep it to a minimum. It may not be as tasty, but it's surely not as unhealthy.
Posted By: Erich

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/14/15 06:14 PM

curiosity for those of yall posting sausage recipes above....

are you making straight feral hog sausage? or are you mixing it with any other meat?

we've made sausage for BBQ with jalapeno and cheese that was all feral pork. came out pretty good.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/14/15 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Erich

are you making straight feral hog sausage? or are you mixing it with any other meat?

we've made sausage for BBQ with jalapeno and cheese that was all feral pork. came out pretty good.

I used to mix feral pork and venison, started making 100% pork smoked sausages and never looked back. I cut my feral pork with 20% bacon ends & pieces (store bought bacon). I've tried a number of different mixes but I favor the 80/20.

Sausage looks great BTW Hunter-Steve. up
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/15/15 02:05 AM

I just use straight feral hog meat.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: What to do with hogs in this heat? - 08/16/15 02:57 PM

Just straight Ferrel hog. I sometimes need to add fat and can get that from the local meat markets. The best ratio is 80/20. I recently tried adding soy protein to help bind the meat for smoking and it came out great.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum