Texas Hunting Forum

Sidearm for the Hog Hunt

Posted By: Schmule

Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/06/15 11:43 PM

So I usually carry my 1911 .45 on my hip when Hog Hunting for the "just in case" he is not dead or if I walk up on another one when tracking the first down after shooting him.

I have never had to pull the sidearm but just wondering what everyone else is carries while they are hog hunting, if anything.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 12:03 AM

I carry my Glock 19 loaded with FMJ ammo. I've used it before to finish several hogs that had been shot, but not dead.
Posted By: ddr225

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 12:05 AM

I keep my Glock 43 on me at all times! Had to use it last weekend on a pissed off sow.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 12:21 AM

I carry either a Ruger SSS in 32 Mag or a suppressed 22 auto. Prefer the 22 cause I can earhole em and not make much noise and it costs a nickel.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 01:54 AM

Colt Commander 1911
Posted By: Texaslawman

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 02:19 AM

FNX-45-Tactical set up with RMR and white/IR light laser. That way you can pop them day night with lights or night vision all bases covers 16 rounds of .45acp and its quiet suppressed.

Posted By: cyberpyrot

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 02:23 AM

1911 had a sounder come right at me after I shot big male. Had to fire off a few shots to ward of the sounder. There where at least 10 in the sounder a few where big scared the [censored] out of me.
Posted By: JESmith

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 02:57 AM

My Dan Wesson .357 mag has dropped a few.
Posted By: altez

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: JESmith
My Dan Wesson .357 mag has dropped a few.

.357 is my choice for finishing hogs. I've had a friend try to finish a hog with a 9mm but it took him two shots point blank.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: altez
I've had a friend try to finish a hog with a 9mm but it took him two shots point blank.

If that is his carry gun it should give him something to think about....I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .40S&W...45ACP or .357Mag are better IMHO......
Posted By: IamMr2

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 03:45 AM

Usually a .40 Glock 23. If not, a 1911 S&W.
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 03:50 AM

Have finished off several wounded hogs in the brush up close with a 9mm. I have been carrying my M&P 40 but haven't had any close interactions yet.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 03:54 AM

Suppressed Sig 1911 45 with a custom holster. I've lost too much hearing already.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 10:48 AM

Commander length 1911 (13 rounds of 45 acp).
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 04:32 PM

357 mag for me
Posted By: billybob

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 04:52 PM

44 mag revolver goes everywhere when I am in the field....2 rounds of snake shot first.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 05:00 PM

Posted By: hdfireman

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 05:24 PM

FNX 45 Tactical for me. Love the 1911 platform but want the extra rounds that the FNX provides
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 05:32 PM

Glock 20 with 16 rounds of 10MM. I had a bad experience with a hog and my 9MM, so I went BIG!!!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 06:31 PM

I used to carry a 9mm, but for the past few years I've been going out with a .22 pistol. I figure if a hog is capable of moving, it'll still be running away. If I shoot one and find it's still alive, the fact that I found it means it's not very mobile. A .22 to the brain is plenty to finish it off. The fact that .22 ammo is cheap(er) was a factor in that decision.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: der Teufel
I used to carry a 9mm, but for the past few years I've been going out with a .22 pistol. I figure if a hog is capable of moving, it'll still be running away. If I shoot one and find it's still alive, the fact that I found it means it's not very mobile. A .22 to the brain is plenty to finish it off. The fact that .22 ammo is cheap(er) was a factor in that decision.

^^^this^^^ I've been carrying a High Standard Double 9 22 cal as a back up for 19 yrs now. Have finished off a bunch of them with one shot from a 22 HP. I've never needed more gun for that. Now, if I'm pistol hunting pigs I carry my Dan Wesson 357 mag.
Posted By: ccreyeder

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/07/15 11:48 PM

FNX 45... Is on my hip anytime I am at the lease... Day or night
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/08/15 12:28 AM

44 Magnum
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/08/15 02:10 AM

Glock 23
Posted By: kry226

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/08/15 07:47 AM

Originally Posted By: cheetah577
Glock 20 with 16 rounds of 10MM. I had a bad experience with a hog and my 9MM, so I went BIG!!!

This is my go-to hog pistol too loaded with 200gr XTPs from Underwood. up
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/08/15 12:01 PM

Stainless 1911 loaded with plain ole 230gr FMJs.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/08/15 03:15 PM

I'm a fan of 45 ACP myself
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/08/15 08:57 PM

.45acp 10 rounds +1 if I need

Buffalo Bore
255 grains
hard cast bullet

955 fps according to the box
Posted By: boonee

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/08/15 09:25 PM

Glock 20 with a Lone Wolf 6 1/2" barrel, 180 grain Hard lead (home cast and loaded) 1200 fps, of diplomacy!
Posted By: customcutter

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/08/15 11:23 PM

1911 in several commanders and full size .45's, but thinking about adding a 10mm just because.
Posted By: Chris42

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/08/15 11:25 PM

If your carrying a rifle...what does it matter what sidearm you are carrying?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/09/15 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
44 Magnum

Does the job.

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/09/15 03:51 PM

Why does it matter? My thoughts are to be like a boy scout and be prepared because stuff happens. Lots of what ifs can happen out in the field and they usually do
Posted By: Schmule

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/10/15 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris42

Well for me, I know if I come across one injured and ready to fight I am not going to be really quick to fire a second shot with a bolt action rifle.

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/11/15 12:35 AM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5833853/Mag_Dump_Boar#Post5833853

This is the second time this year that he has had a boar charge him after being shot, and had multiple hits on the animal. Also other hunters have posted videos where they have killed as many as 9+ pigs in a sounder, not counting their misses. How well can you clear a FTF, FTE, in the dark? What if the firing pin breaks, or extractor, or etc....

A sidearm is good insurance.

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/11/15 02:40 AM

Agreed
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/11/15 09:09 PM

357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45ACP
Posted By: Chris42

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/12/15 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: customcutter

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5833853/Mag_Dump_Boar#Post5833853

This is the second time this year that he has had a boar charge him after being shot, and had multiple hits on the animal. Also other hunters have posted videos where they have killed as many as 9+ pigs in a sounder, not counting their misses. How well can you clear a FTF, FTE, in the dark? What if the firing pin breaks, or extractor, or etc....

A sidearm is good insurance.

No body armor? Flamethrower? Bazooka? The odds of a dozen pigs charging you is rather slim.

I feel plenty comfortable with my magazine fed rifle. I can do a tap, rack, bang faster than I can drop the rifle, draw the pistol, aim, and fire an inferior weapon. If the rifle breaks, I have a nice big knife, but I'd rather run like hell.

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/12/15 01:50 AM

[/quote]If the rifle breaks, I have a nice big knife, but I'd rather run like hell. [/quote]

Next time you kill a nice big boar, try stabbing that "nice big knife" through his shield. Just make sure your knife has a guard on it so that your hand doesn't slide down the blade and cut your fingers. Some of us don't run as well as we did 40 years ago, and a sidearm is good insurance.

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/12/15 01:54 PM

I feel plenty comfortable with my magazine fed rifle. I can do a tap, rack, bang faster than I can drop the rifle, draw the pistol, aim, and fire an inferior weapon. If the rifle breaks, I have a nice big knife, but I'd rather run like hell.

For starters you aren't going to out run a pig, they have a top speed of 30-35mph. Also at close ranges there is nothing inferior about a sidearm. At 10-15 yards a rifle round is likely to have zero expansion and go straight through causing little or no damage. Pistol rounds are design for such ranges but suit yourself.

Trying to clear a rifle malfunction while a hog is charging is something I don't wanna do. There is a reason LE/MIL train on transitioning weapons. I know this isn't a war zone but a charging hog and a malfunctioning rifle can lead to serious injury or cost you your life.

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/12/15 04:25 PM

I find myself in the brush with a flashlight looking for wounded animals fairly often. Most of the time I'm stooped over and a rifle doesn't make sense. A flashlight and pistol work well for me.
Posted By: bo3

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/13/15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: hdfireman
[quote=Chris42]

For starters you aren't going to out run a pig, they have a top speed of 30-35mph. Also at close ranges there is nothing inferior about a sidearm. At 10-15 yards a rifle round is likely to have zero expansion and go straight through causing little or no damage. Pistol rounds are design for such ranges but suit yourself.

Trying to clear a rifle malfunction while a hog is charging is something I don't wanna do. There is a reason LE/MIL train on transitioning weapons. I know this isn't a war zone but a charging hog and a malfunctioning rifle can lead to serious injury or cost you your life. [/quoarm

So much wrong here. Rifles are better than pistols even at that range. The only time a pistol would be an advantage is the pig is chewing on one arm. A rifle is more likely to over expand due to velocity and yaw at that range.
Posted By: DrPerry

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/13/15 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Colt Commander 1911

+1

230 grn ball ammo
the hollow points don't penetrate far enough
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/13/15 07:19 PM

I quit carrying sidearms while hog hunting as the hogs on my place are a bunch of wussies

just my smelly self will cause them to run

I just carry more rifle rounds with me
Posted By: Big guns, Lottsa Ammo

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/13/15 07:30 PM

All this discussion when it shows the rifle advocate has never been in the position. I also carry a mag fed very capable rifle and am expert at its use with many confirmed to my record. The sidearm has kept me breathing more than once. If you want a real adrenaline rush, try the havelina. The dead one is not the issue, its buddies WILL come for you and are fearless. I have tried the entire range of calibers and settled on the 9mm full metal it does the job every time and there is short recoil time. The real question is, why would you not carry a sidearm? Penetrating the armor is a problem, I have had many soft and hollow point not do the job, at point blank. Sometimes its not a charge but rather a run away and you are in the path. Good luck out there
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/13/15 07:53 PM

Sig 1911 45 Super

I never don't carry a sidearm

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/13/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Big guns, Lottsa Ammo
All this discussion when it shows the rifle advocate has never been in the position. I also carry a mag fed very capable rifle and am expert at its use with many confirmed to my record. The sidearm has kept me breathing more than once. If you want a real adrenaline rush, try the havelina. The dead one is not the issue, its buddies WILL come for you and are fearless. I have tried the entire range of calibers and settled on the 9mm full metal it does the job every time and there is short recoil time. The real question is, why would you not carry a sidearm? Penetrating the armor is a problem, I have had many soft and hollow point not do the job, at point blank. Sometimes its not a charge but rather a run away and you are in the path. Good luck out there

The sidearm is for when your rifle is jammed, broke, or out of ammo. If your worried about a charge why did you put the rifle down? If you're worried about penetration, why put the rifle down? If you're in brush thick enough you can't swing a rifle I understand. If you just like to carry a sidearm, I understand as I carry one just because. However don't try to say a handgun is superior to a rifle or shotgun.
Posted By: Big guns, Lottsa Ammo

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/13/15 11:18 PM

Never said the handgun was superior just very handy, I have emptied a clip and still had targets, also why I like the short barrel versions of the semi autos and open sites when you are out of the stand. Hogs are not the easy target a whitetail can be when it comes to putting them down and head shots on a running pig can be tricky. Even the .500 did not put the 400lb. sow down just changed her mind, she had a litter and was PO'd when I took one of the shoalts and had every intention of doing bodily harm after the bolt had locked on an empty clip, gave my sidearm a kiss and switched to 20 round clips lol. These things hit like a truck and its surprising how fast they can close the gap. When the rounds are gone its just a club, without a bayonet. I carry 2 rifles,pistol,and knife the wild boar is not prey, we are the only threat to it.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/13/15 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Big guns, Lottsa Ammo
the wild boar is not prey, we are the only threat to it.

a mountain lion will eat one

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/14/15 12:47 AM

Why are pigs harder to hit then deer? Proper shot placement, even with a 223, will put them down. Why shoot the baby first? Shoot the sow and the babies won't go far. If you carried a bow too, you could be Rambo. Pigs are not as dangerous as you seem to think.
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/14/15 02:16 PM

Depending on the situation, I will carry one of two pistols.

This is "Shag Nasty":

I only carry this one when I will be hunting late and might require the use of night sights. Otherwise I carry a Springfield XDm 5.25 in .45(Black Betty). The 5.25 is far more reliable and the fiber optic sight is superior during daylight hours.

This is "Black Betty"

Posted By: San Antonio FJ

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/16/15 03:34 AM

im also in the glock 20 camp, good power and 15rnds, although I have used the suppressed 22 also with good results
Posted By: Texaslawman

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/17/15 04:29 AM

I killed a few hogs with my .45 acp this weekend one went down instantly the other two were running away when I shot them took multiple rounds but they did not get away. The one that went down instantly was about 240-250 pounds, the runners were 200ish and 150ish pounds. The 230gr hollow points had good results even with Texas heart shots on the runners. Spun them around for good broadside finishing shots. Range was from 10- 40 yards
Posted By: rvrrat14

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/17/15 01:49 PM

I dont always follow wounded hogs into the thick south Texas brush........But when I do, its Glock 20. Stay safe my friends!

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/17/15 02:42 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread but is a glock 20 the overall best pistol for 10mm?
Posted By: San Antonio FJ

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/17/15 08:55 PM

I only have a g20 and a colt delta, and prefer the glock. Some people rave about the Bren ten and older S&W (1006 maybe) Ive never shot one so they could be better.

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 08/18/15 03:13 AM

I got to hold but not shoot a g20 this past weekend...that sucked. I did pop off a lot of subsonic 5.56 and 300 though!
Posted By: bull279

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/09/15 03:47 PM

HK USP 40 with Winchester Ranger SXT, they DON'T get back up.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/09/15 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: rvrrat14
I dont always follow wounded hogs into the thick south Texas brush........But when I do, its Glock 20. Stay safe my friends!

rofl cheers have been known ta go inta the thick stuff after a wounded hog during day & at night... bang slinger dont own a Glock... flag
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/09/15 09:39 PM

44 Mag. If if doesn't kill them, it'll scare them
Posted By: Jabroni

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/10/15 12:29 AM

sig p224 .357sig
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/10/15 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: bo323
Why are pigs harder to hit then deer? Proper shot placement, even with a 223, will put them down. Why shoot the baby first? Shoot the sow and the babies won't go far. If you carried a bow too, you could be Rambo. Pigs are not as dangerous as you seem to think.

come feb. I can set ya up some pig mud rasslin out here, then we can see how tame they really are. roflmao
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/10/15 12:21 PM

always a glock 23, fmj 185gr.
dropped a 75# with it when the 870 ran out of shells (8 rounds and all duck loads, forgot to change over from beaver chasin), I will not go out without a pistol as backup.

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/10/15 01:21 PM

Go big or go home!

.45acp + P Buffalo Bore 255 Grain Hard Cast

10 + 1
Posted By: mikei

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/10/15 03:56 PM

I use my 45ACP with 230 grain HP's. It will take 'em down fast and hard with proper bullet placement and within 25 yards or so.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/10/15 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: bull279
HK USP 40 with Winchester Ranger SXT, they DON'T get back up.

'Zactly what I use. That or one of the 1911's in .45 ACP.
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/15/15 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Go big or go home!

.45acp + P Buffalo Bore 255 Grain Hard Cast

10 + 1

^^^^^^^^^^
This only with a 500 S&W mag. Yep, I'm serious. It is a blast. Literally.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/15/15 07:59 PM

shotty
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Sidearm for the Hog Hunt - 09/15/15 08:36 PM

It just depends... I would say 75% of the time I have my S&W 40 on me staggered with HP's and FMJ's. But from time to time I'll take a 357 mag along for the journey just because.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum