Texas Hunting Forum

Fox Squirrels

Posted By: cjbs2003

Fox Squirrels - 06/15/15 05:38 AM

I've got a fascination with fox squirrels. Been traveling all over shooting them and getting mounts done. They come in so many color phases in different regions. Curious if anyone has photos of fox squirrels from your part of Texas, interested to see how they compare...
Posted By: customcutter

Re: Fox Squirrels - 06/15/15 09:32 PM

I saw a solid white one driving home from Appalachicola about 20 years ago. I thought about pulling over and trying to shoot him. Then I remembered they were protected... My in-laws have one that's almost solid black up in Geneva Al. All the rest are grey with brown high lights. Sorry no pics...
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: Fox Squirrels - 06/18/15 05:08 AM

Where I grew up, most were rusty reddish colored. But there was an area where the black gene ran strong. I regularly killed smoky gray colored ones out of there, but never a true black one. My dad told me he saw a true black one, but hesitated to shoot, because it surprised him so.
Posted By: cjbs2003

Re: Fox Squirrels - 07/08/15 08:24 AM

No one has any photos?
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Fox Squirrels - 07/08/15 02:01 PM

I have seen many black ones in my hunting area. I do not kill them. Reckon that's why I keep seeing them.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Fox Squirrels - 07/08/15 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Reloder28
I have seen many black ones in my hunting area. I do not kill them. Reckon that's why I keep seeing them.

If they are by any structure that is yours or you occupy, that's a really bad idea. They have the cunning of a raccoon and the small size of a rat to be able to get in and destroy just about everything. I swerve to hit them in the street.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum