Texas Hunting Forum

First blood on the Grendel

Posted By: customcutter

First blood on the Grendel - 06/06/15 03:40 AM

I went back tonight and sat up near a dead cow in the pasture I've been hunting. I was fully expecting to see coyotes, but could tell that the hide was still intact and hadn't been touched in 4 days. Luckily the wind was out of the north.

I got there at 7:15 and sunset wasn't until after 8:30. I set up on the north side of the pasture this time, near where I had first seen the pig the first night. The dead cow was about 100yds east of me, and I could only shoot safely to the east and southeast from that location. It was after sunset and I could still see well enough that I hadn't switched to night vision on the X-sight. I had tried one series of coyote pup distress calls about 15 minutes earlier, right at sunset, and was thinking about trying another series. But I knew it was about the same time that the boar had showed up 3 or 4 weeks ago on my first night vision hunt. I was debating whether too try another series, I had slowly looked back to the west just in case something was slipping in behind me. When I looked back to the east there was the pig, I didn't think it was the same one I had shot at before. This one only looked to be about 100#'s, I figured it would make a good barbecue, and decided to shoot. It was fairly close so I decided against trying to maneuver the tripod or shooting stick. I settled the cross hairs on the center of the neck, between the head and shoulder and fired. He went down, DRT. 6.5 Grendel, 123gr Hornady SST's did a number on a 175-200# piney wood rooter. As they say, "Third time is a charm."

It wasn't night vision, but if I didn't have a night vision scope, I'd been home watching utube video's of guys shooting pigs with thermal. laugh

Edit: I didn't get it on video, but I did get a picture. I'll try to post tomorrow...
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: First blood on the Grendel - 06/06/15 03:49 AM

Woohoo! Bring us the pic!
Posted By: customcutter

Re: First blood on the Grendel - 06/06/15 10:59 AM

I have to send pics to my wife so that she can send them to my email. I've been to verizon 3 times and they can't even figure it out. Here we go...

Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: First blood on the Grendel - 06/06/15 12:37 PM

cheers awsome, i'm one of them guys rofl not by choice... The jungle, Edit: ( swamp ) i hunt is closed ta general hog hunts... Think they got archery hog year round. No night hunts, have ta wear orange, & even with me knee going out, would still probley be their wondering about the woods... rofl i need the exercise.... Been trying ta do a laser-tag hog video... i think i'm the worst hunter on hear... flag
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: First blood on the Grendel - 06/06/15 02:52 PM

cheers
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: First blood on the Grendel - 06/06/15 03:39 PM

Congrats
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: First blood on the Grendel - 06/06/15 06:08 PM

Nice Piggie!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum