Texas Hunting Forum

For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ...

Posted By: png

For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/07/15 09:16 PM

How do you watch out for snakes in the dark when walking and stalking hogs?

Do you use night vision goggle? I assume you don't use a flash light.

Thanks as always.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/07/15 09:17 PM

snake boots, snake gaiters

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/07/15 09:23 PM

so, you can't and don't watch...
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/07/15 09:48 PM

Yep, snake boots and use your ears.
Posted By: hdfireman

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/07/15 09:57 PM

I run NV goggles but the fields I hunt are crops and have never seen a snake. If I were to hunt areas prone to have snakes I would do as said about and wear my snake boots. When wearing helmet mounted NV it is usually focused at a greater distance than the ground below you. So when you look at the ground below you it will be out of focus.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/07/15 10:00 PM

I have very comfortable Chippewa snake boots. But it's not just for snakes. You need good ankle support when hunting at night because you're frequently on unsure footing.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/08/15 01:12 AM

Usually I'm sitting in a blind - usually wearing snake boots for the trip to/from. I don't worry about it.

Once a rattlesnake bit me, after 5 days of excruciating pain, the snake finally died.

-The World's Most Interesting Man

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/08/15 03:19 AM

Thanks guys.

I can't entertain the thought of walking in dark with no light, even with snake boots on.

Mickey Moose I have high respect for you guys who had been bitten. I will likely suffer a heart attack.
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/08/15 04:28 AM

I think he was joking about being bitten.

I don't worry about snakes at night, but I also ride in and out on a 4 wheeler. My walking is limited to a couple hundred yards max.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/08/15 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: png

I can't entertain the thought of walking in dark with no light, even with snake boots on.

if the thoughts of snakes give you the willies then night hunting is not for you

or just hunt out of an ATV
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/08/15 02:13 PM

I'm the worst one about snakes but it doesn't keep me out of the woods at night, I do my best to stay on the roads but if a hog goes in the brush that's when my fear kicks in.
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/08/15 03:12 PM

I don't worry so much about snakes after dark, it's all the other stuff out there that worries me
My lease, like most others, has all kind of critters running around, I worry about walking up on something not so nice in the dark
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/08/15 05:52 PM

I stick to roads and open fields/pasture at night. I've never worried much about snakes. I stepped on a copperhead once at twilight. I felt something squishy under my boot. I took a couple more steps and turned to see what it was. I had rolled him over by stepping on him. He recovered and went on his way and I did the same. I don't like to kill snakes, although I will if they're poisonous and near the house or cattle.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/08/15 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Beaubien
I think he was joking about being bitten.

Yes, I was very much joking! Sorry png, thanks for helping Beaubien!

-Mickey

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/09/15 12:05 AM

No worries.
Posted By: Espy

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/09/15 12:16 AM

Never really worry about snakes or most animals except skunks. I give them the right of way.
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/09/15 02:25 AM

I forgot about the skunks those bastards are thick out here, got sprayed last year now I treat them like mobile land mines!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/09/15 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Espy
Never really worry about snakes or most animals except skunks. I give them the right of way.

Same here.

Was leaving a ground blind one evening with my then 15 year old stepson. Both of us bow in hand and we had to walk 200 yards across plowed ground. I spotted a skunk 150 out. Stepson said "should I sneak up on him and shoot him?" I said he!! no! We're gonna walk a wide circle around him. Had to explain all that once we got to the truck.
Posted By: passthru

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/11/15 05:11 PM

Green mini-sniper and red head lamp. I don't have night vision or thermal yet but that's how I get around and kill them at night.

I wear snake boots as well. But they are as much for the cactus as snakes.
Posted By: DanPhifer

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/15/15 03:31 AM

Snake boots are priceless when it comes to keeping cactus off ya. Haven't been tested with a snake yet and hope they never are.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/15/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter-Steve
Yep, snake boots and use your ears.

^^^^this^^^^ I never wore snake boots until I almost stepped on a rattler one night stalking pigs. I never leave home without them now. Your ears don't help you though when you're running with the dogs.
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/18/15 01:15 AM

I haven't thought too much about them although they are probably much more likely to get me than Sasquatch, a pack of rabid coyotes or the giant cougar that cross my mind about every 15 seconds on the dark LOL!
Posted By: Dale Wilson

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/18/15 02:19 AM

You worry about Big Foot too! I never thought about a pack of rabid coyotes or the giant cougar , I'm sure I will now thanks a lot, smile elmer

Originally Posted By: cantcatch5
I haven't thought too much about them although they are probably much more likely to get me than Sasquatch, a pack of rabid coyotes or the giant cougar that cross my mind about every 15 seconds on the dark LOL!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/18/15 03:03 AM

Snake boots for walking the fields and I won't chase a pig into thick brush this time of year. Mostly due to the fear of poison ivy/oak/sumac.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/21/15 11:42 AM

Boots are required but don't dare forget the Deep Woods Off!

We have those saber-toothed chiggers around here that seem to target your taint/jewels and will make your life miserable for a few days if you forget the Off!!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/21/15 03:57 PM

When chiggers get your jewels, it may be days, but the misery seems to last for a lifetime.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/22/15 02:06 AM

+2 on the Deep Woods Off for chiggers...never worried too much about snakes though... up
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/22/15 02:11 AM

Haven't had a case of chiggers since I was a kid. Got them so often I now think I am immune. A few days of pure heck.. I remember dumping alcohol on them thinking anything was better than itching. Don't do that.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/22/15 04:21 AM

I tuck my pant legs into my snake boots and wrap duct tape around the top of my boots and pant legs. I also wear an undershirt tucked in under my outtershirt and hose down with Off. Since I've started doing this I haven't gotten chiggers.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/26/15 08:08 PM

If you so happen to get into chiggers all you have to do is put a cap full of bleach into a hot bath and soak for 15 min. Might be a good idea to do anyway before slipping in the bed. Helps keep the misses off your tail.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: For hunters with Night Vision scope, I want to know ... - 05/26/15 08:26 PM

For Chiggers and Ticks I drink Apple Cider Vinegar the night before and every day I am in the woods. Just an ounce or so will keep them off you. Was told this many years ago by a surveyor and I have not had a chigger or tick on me since. I find the best Apple Cider Vinegar to be White House or the Walmart brand-Great Value.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum