Texas Hunting Forum

New Hunters

Posted By: rdhibbs

New Hunters - 04/09/15 07:59 PM

I have always enjoyed shooting, My 11 year old son is dieing to go hunting. I have gotten him the fire arms, he has taken the hunters safety coarse. We just need a place to hunt. I am 51 years old with authorize in my knees, ankles and back so walking and carrying game out is not an option. We live in Dumas (48 miles north of Amarillo). I have a hog hunt set up for the first Saturday in October. They have a feeder and ground level blind that I can drive up to, and it is near Clarendon so it isn't to far to drive. He he thinks he wants to deer hunt but I am so broke I can't pay attention much less pay a large deer lease fee. Hopefully the hog hunt will let us know how serious he is about hunting. I look forward to being a part of your community, thanks for having us.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: New Hunters - 04/09/15 08:10 PM

welcome
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: New Hunters - 04/09/15 09:21 PM

Best of luck to you both!
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: New Hunters - 04/10/15 12:35 PM

welcome
Posted By: JHOG

Re: New Hunters - 04/10/15 01:25 PM

rock_on Welcome new hunters! I had the privileged of hunting on family friends land for deer all throughout my youth. My parents were not hunters and still are not to this day. Your son might be like me though and just get addicted to it. Are there friends in the area that would let him hunt on their land during the season? Hunting with friends is a wonderful thing. Good luck on the hog hunt.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: New Hunters - 04/10/15 02:19 PM

I might also add that coyote hunting is some of the greatest hunting in the world and can be done very cheaply. Though I might get kicked out of Texas for saying so, I find it much more interesting than shooting deer out of blinds.
Posted By: OffCoor1

Re: New Hunters - 04/10/15 03:23 PM

Agree totally w/what syncerus says. Plus, lots of landowners (especially those w/cattle) most times seem to be quick to grant you permission to hunt coyotes. Might be worth a try. That country around Dumas should be some great coyote country, too. Good Huntin'
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: New Hunters - 04/11/15 02:08 AM

welcomeglad to have you
Posted By: H-Town Hunter

Re: New Hunters - 04/11/15 05:02 AM

welcome
Posted By: H-Town Hunter

Re: New Hunters - 04/11/15 05:03 AM

Have a great hunt! It will be a blast and you will quickly learn that hunting is so much more than just the hunt or kill, its about friends and family and growing closer together! Have a great time and best of luck to yall!
Posted By: upsslim

Re: New Hunters - 04/11/15 11:00 AM

Get him involved in the Texas Youth Hunting Program. It is great. When he is chosen for a hunt it is $150 for him and you to get away for a weekend, hunt, eat some good food, and enjoy yourselves. He will get the chance to harvest a deer. Good luck. Check out this site. http://texasyouthhunting.com/
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: New Hunters - 04/11/15 12:21 PM

Good suggestions, folks. The Panhandle has quite a bit of public hunting land. You should get your Annual Public Hunting permit ($48) which gives you access to tons of free areas in which to hunt.

Public hunting lands
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: New Hunters - 04/11/15 08:47 PM

welcome
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: New Hunters - 04/13/15 06:25 PM

Thank you for all the welcomes.
We are very open to coyote hunting, Problem is I have lived here most of my life and I find that land has changed hands so many times I do not know many land owners any more. Those I do now are not allowing hunting. The ranches that do allow hunting have it priced out of my reach. I have looked into the public hunting, Rita Blanca National Grass Lands are pretty close to me, but the deer distribution maps I have found do not show much deer in this aria. I am considering a hunt at Lake Meredith. All the other public lands require you to enter a drawing. I do not know when they will be accepting entry's for this year.

I think I will check out the TX youth hunter program, and we have joined the Moore County 4H Shooting sports club, but its the same old story they do not have a place to shoot or hunt?

I am open to suggestions on how to identify and contact land owners.
Posted By: GunsUpHunter

Re: New Hunters - 04/21/15 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: upsslim
Get him involved in the Texas Youth Hunting Program. It is great. When he is chosen for a hunt it is $150 for him and you to get away for a weekend, hunt, eat some good food, and enjoy yourselves. He will get the chance to harvest a deer. Good luck. Check out this site. http://texasyouthhunting.com/

+1. Great program. He's liable to come home with 2+ deer on a hunt, maybe an exotic.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: New Hunters - 04/21/15 03:30 AM

welcome ta THF... Know about the alien body parts, rofl dang Gov. been spying on me for years. Hunting is getting expensive, some of the day hunts not bad price. Seen several on here with good reviews. Still enjoy me WMA hunts, last several years been more exersice & videoing. Use light back pac, incase get lucky. Takes several days ta recoperate. Best Wishes flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum