Texas Hunting Forum

Snaring question

Posted By: BrianS

Snaring question - 04/01/15 09:27 PM

Is it typical to have some catches around the back of a coyote? I am getting quite a few this way. One less coyote either way but just wondering if this is typical and is it caused due to the loop being too big?
Posted By: Jhop

Re: Snaring question - 04/02/15 12:39 AM

I'd say yes. Yotes might get out if caught by a foot or even around the neck but they never survive if caught around the stomach. Even if they manage to break the snare.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Snaring question - 04/02/15 02:29 AM

Brian it is quite possible your 'loop' is too large, but we really need to see what type of snare you are using and know how you 'set' it. What type of lock(s) are you using?

There are a number of reasons you might be catching the Yotes that 'deep'.

Regardless the size of the loop, you need to be sure your cable is not twisted and that the loop is correctly 'formed' so that it 'fires' (begins to close...easily, once contacted).

Otherwise...the loop will have to be 'pulled' shut from the very beginning. That can allow an animal to step through the loop.

Where (and how) you set your snare can (to a large degree) control how the animal is caught.
Posted By: BrianS

Re: Snaring question - 04/02/15 02:35 AM

Great advise so far.. Than you..
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Snaring question - 04/03/15 06:47 AM

Loop is too big prob and not "loaded" properly. The snare should be about 10 in or so and be ready to fire. When you put your hand in your loop and put a little pressure on it the snare should fire and bounce of your wrist. If your snares aren't loaded then your waiting for the animal to put pressure on the snare to close all the way, giving him a chance to put the front legs through the loop, that snare should bounce tight on their neck when they put the slightest pressure on it. Also do not let your snare touch the ground, that will allow them to put their paw on it and they will be already through your loop before it engages. Have your snare ten in wide, about 2 to 3 in off the ground with a couple of "chin up" sticks about 3 in in front o the loop angled away from the loop. This forces the yote to lift his head when going through and gaurantees a solid neck shot. Your snare support is crucial as well, if the snare is not solid then it won't perform correctly either. That snare shouldn't be able to sway or anything. Needs to be solid. Then block everything down heavy to where all the see is your opening, also run your tie off to something higher on the fence to ensure they get choked up good, you do all that and you'll be walkin up to em hangin on the fence dead everytime
Posted By: Western

Re: Snaring question - 04/03/15 10:06 AM

I'd guess loop size as well, I always make mine about 9" diameter, 2-3" off the ground, depending on the "hole " in the fence they are using. I have never caught one past the neck. As mentioned, buy pre-loaded, or load them yourself using a pipe or fence post. I have caught them for years though with normal, "not loaded" snares, before they became popular, but the lock and cable, has to be perfect. I use small azz copper (phone wire) for cable tie to fence wire), so it goes when slightly pulled, just a couple wraps or 3 loose. Soon as the cacble hits their chest , I want it closing.

Edit: Consider your set location as well, sometimes if it is in a sunken spot, they use their front feet more to go under since they have to get extra low.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum