Texas Hunting Forum

Coyote and bobcat and I botched the shot

Posted By: 603Country

Coyote and bobcat and I botched the shot - 03/06/15 01:49 AM

I was minding my business in my tall blind, and I didn't even see the bobcat till it was halfway across the 80 yards of ROW. I had no intention of shooting, so I just watched the cat try to negotiate the dry creek which was now 8 feet wide with icy water. The bobcat wasn't going to get wet so it was slowly working his way along the edge of the creek, which would bring him right past me. I was grabbing for my camera, hoping to video the good looking big muscular cat, when in a rush, a big coyote comes out of the woods right behind the bobcat. I was expecting violence of some sort, but they just sort of ignored each other. I dropped the camera and grabbed the 220. The coyote was kind of spinning around like he was hunting a mouse or rat in the grass. The dang critter would just not hold still. The cat was watching the coyote, when I managed to do a bad job on the shot. Knocked the coyote down, but not out. In about 3 microseconds I was all alone in my misery. If I ever again suggest to you guys that I'm a fine shot, feel free to remind me of today.

Anyway, I had never seen a coyote and a bobcat 15 feet apart (or 150 yards apart, for that matter).
Posted By: breadman

Re: Coyote and bobcat and I botched the shot - 03/08/15 02:30 PM

never know what your gonna see in the woods , once saw deer and coyotes digging up peanuts in the same field in south texas .
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Coyote and bobcat and I botched the shot - 03/08/15 03:28 PM

I have a stand that over looks my neighbor's property (opposite direction of my feeder). Sometimes I will spot a coyote in the neighbor's pasture, nose to the ground, walking zig-zag, and every now and then will appear to sudden bite at the ground, lift his head, chew a couple of times, and resume. I think he is getting mice or shrews (something really small). It is fun to watch.

Never seen a bobcat and coyote together either.

No sign of the coyote?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum